New to the TV section of MP - Few Questions (1 Viewer)

Creamfilling

Portal Member
November 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have been using MP for about 4 years on my HTPC but I have used it only as a Blu-Ray jukebox.

Recently I setup an HTPC for some relatives and in their house and they do not subscribe to any cable/sat providers. They currently just use an HD TV antenna to bring channels in. Well I thought it would be nice to help them setup the TV stuff and buy a tv tuner for the HTPC so that they could record tv.

Here is the TV tuner that I am looking at getting them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116028

So my questions:

1. I am assuming this card will work well with MP? I know it is a single tuner but that is fine, they will only use it to record, not for live TV.

2. Will I be able to use this card to record TV? Or do I need a TV DVR card?

3. How much space does recording take up for HD content? I was planning to split one of the HD partitions and giving them 400gig. That plenty?

Thank you very much in advance

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Creamfilling

1. I am assuming this card will work well with MP? I know it is a single tuner but that is fine, they will only use it to record, not for live TV.
    Yep, should work fine. No problems that I recall reported over the last 3+ years that I've been actively working on MP. :)

2. Will I be able to use this card to record TV? Or do I need a TV DVR card?
    Yes, you can use it to record TV. With MP, any compatible tuner gives you the ability to view/timeshift live TV and/or record. MP is the DVR. :)

3. How much space does recording take up for HD content? I was planning to split one of the HD partitions and giving them 400gig. That plenty?
    Space depends entirely on the stream from the broadcaster. Like most other PC TV software, MP records the raw feed from the tuner with almost no changes. No transcoding.
    If you estimate 15 Mb/s for ATSC MPEG 2 HD streams (this may be a little on the high side), 400 GB gives you 400 000 MB / (15 Mb/s / 8 b/B) = 213 333 seconds = 3555 minutes = 59.26 hours
    I'm guessing ~60 hours is probably plenty. :)

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom