New toy: Asrock ION 330 (1 Viewer)

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as i remember the BIOS options it has WakeOn USB but never tried.

I am using a Logitech Harmony 525 with the MCE IR USB receiver but the box runs as a server (WebServer, Answering Machine, FaxServer...) so i never switch it off ;)

Hold on, hold on... a bit of topic, but still...

I've had my eyes on one of these for some time now but this got my attention...

Answering machine, Fax server... What software do you use for that and do you have an external modem connected via USB?

/Jonas...

i am using ISDN CID as answering machine + self developed extension to have a webinterface, sent emails and identify the caller via an internet search.

Fax and the isdn connection goes via a avm fritz box (CAPI over TCP).

I still have a AVM ISDN Card (PCI) lying around in case someone is interested

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    This looks like exactly what I'm after...

So you run it with a twin DVB-S2 USB tuner? Do you have any issues at all?

I want to run a media center in standby, switching on when needed to make recordings or for viewing HD broadcasts.

Any chance you'll be testing standby start-up and suspend?
    When I tried this with Media Portal on my current PC, I had a lot of problems; Media Portal wouldn't wake up correctly.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Do you have any more feedback about the system?

Does it upscale DVDs?

What's the noise like from the fans and the DVD drive?

Do you get 5.1 audio through the DVB-S2 tuner?

Any issues?

Thanks!

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I also bought an Asrock Ion 330. Have not played around so much with it yet, but the first impressions are fairly good.
    I started out with Win7, but due to a problem with the remote I couldn't solve, and some other strange things happening, I reverted to Vista and now everything is running great.
    I am using SAF-codecs (search on MP forum if you don't know it), which works out extremely well. I have Hardware acceleration on almost everything. Playing back HD-content gives only about 15-20% CPU usage (idling in MP gives around 10%), so I'm extremely impressed by that. I have not yet played a Blu-ray, since I don't have the version with BD-drive in it. But I hope I get the time today to rip some of my Blu-rays and try playing them that way, to see how it handles that.

Only thing I'm a little dissapointed about is that MP seems to be extremely slow in the menus. I am using MP 1.1 Beta and StreamedMP, and whenever I change from BasicHome menu to TV og a plugin it takes forever (10-20 sec). Same when I go back to Home menu. When I change around inside TV (Guide to recorded tv to LiveTV and so on) it's as snappy as it used to be.
    I don't know if its the Asrock, MP 1.1 beta, streamed MP or something else that is causing this. The CPU usage doesn't go up at all, so I don't really understand it.

In regards of noise I am very happy about it. I can't hear the fan from my sitting position. And when I go closer to listen, it's a very comfortable sound. Not some high-pitched sound, nor is it something deep that sounds like a subwoofer. I don't know how to describe it.
    I have not noticed the DVD-drive noise, and so far I have played a few DVD's. So it seems to be good.

It is possible to get 5.1 analog output, despite there being only 3 jack-connections on the back. You just need to install the software to the Soundcard and enable it there. I can't remember if the software was on the disc that came with the asrock, or if I downloaded it from the web.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Sounds promising!

Have you solved the problem with the slow menu response?

Also, you mentioned analogue 5.1 audio output, but can it output surround sound over the HDMI connection?

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    No, I have not had time to look into it.

From what I can see in the audio-menu, you can output sourround sound digital through either the HDMI connection or through Toslink. I have not tested these since I don't have a sourround reciever that accepts digital input (only have a logitech Sourround sound speaker system).

ToyRotar

Portal Member
    March 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi All,

I'm also convinced its time to upgrade from my old HTPC & about to order one of these (via FeppaSpot)... however, I realised I'm going to run into problems connecting to my old trustworthy 100Hz CRT TV - that only accepts S-Video, Composite, or Component in. :(

Do any of you know if the Asrock Ion 330 can output to my TV via a basic VGA to S-Video Cable with the Asrock Nvidia set to "TV-out"
    Example (VGA to TV Converter S-Video/RCA OUT Cable Adapter, A351 - eBay VGA, SVGA, Cables, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:00:19 AEST))

Or do I need to get some sort of Digital to analogue converter box like this one?
    (PC VGA to TV RCA S-Video Signal Converter Adapter Box - eBay Other Adaptors, Adaptors, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:58:37 AEST))

Or perhaps there is another way to resolve this (other than buying a new TV with HDMI / VGA inputs)

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Kind Regards,
    David.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Another question:

Has anyone tried running Media Portal, e.g. recording something, while playing back music on iTunes at the same time?
    I'm thinking I could use it to stream music to my Airport Express (and therefore my stereo), but of course, I need to make sure that I can record TV simultaneously.

Can the ASRock Ion 330 handle that?

Moracco

Portal Member
    March 1, 2007
    I have also bought the ASRock ION 330 and am running Mediaportal with CoreAVC on Windows XP 32. All my movies are stored on an external harddrive, which is connected via USB 2.0 to the ASRock. Movie playback of MKV files with 1080p is super smooth :)

My movie database is pretty big (about 500 titles). The response of Mediaportal is really slow since I have imported all the movies using Mediaportals built-in movie database. Has anyone of you experienced the same? I am wondering if the problem is my Atom processor or the external harddrive connection.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I solved my slow menus. Or, it was not as much slow menues. It was just very long time switching between plugins. Example: If I was in Home menu, and press "TV", it would take long. If I then went to TVguide (or recorded TV, anything withing the TV-"plugin") it was superfast. If I entered MovingPictures or TVseries, it was slow again, but navigating within the plugin was fast.

Yesterday I tried out X-factor skin instead of streamedMP, and now the above problem is gone. So it seems it was a problem with the skin. This could also be because of MP 1.1 beta not correctly supported by streamedMP, I don't know. But anyway, I managed to get it sorted so I have no more trouble with the Ion.

Also, There is a new firmware, that makes it possible to disable the Power-LED. Really great, since it was way too bright. The biggest problem was that it would blink when in standby. Now it is just turned off all the time, including HDD-LED, so sometimes I have a hard time figuring out if the Ion is even turned on, since I can't hear the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom