New user - how to 'Import' my music files to the Media Portal 'Library' (1 Viewer)

RJ99

July 29, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have about 120Gb of MPs & have been using Windows Media Player.

I like the way WMP display an array of albums (icons), which can be scrolled through and an album selected by clicking on the icon.

WMP has recently become unstable so I'm looking for alternatives. From a recent computer mag I read about MP & it sounds great ... I assumed it would have a similar facility (to the previous paragraph) if I choose the right configuration option. I've browsed through the 'How to' but can't even see how to 'populate' the Library (right now it's empty).

Can someone please help? How do I populate the library (I'd like to 'Select all' and bring my entire collection (from the /Music directory) in).

BTW I'm someone who always contributes financially to software I find useful (and on principle prefer to support alternatives to the likes of MS and Apple).

RJ99

July 29, 2015
Home Country
Ps: Got it! One had to drag the directory over (from Windows Explorer).

That's fine - it's now doing it ....about half way through.

One additional question - it seems to be listing the files individually (each MP3 and its album icon) in one long list of tracks. Is there some way to group them by album (or ‘folder’, in Explorer I have each album in its own folder)? I.e.: I’d like to see an array of albums, one icon for each?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

You are probably using the so-called "share view", which displays files and folders as such. For a library view you need to switch the view by opening the respective OSD menu and selecting a different view (e.g. album, artist, etc.). You can also define and fine-tune the opening view in the MePo configuration under Music Views.

RJ99

July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Belatedly, thanks for the help. Sadly the program kept crashing and seems to have slowed down my system (maybe a coincidence? Maybe). I'm going to uninstall and try iTunes (which I've been trying hard to avoid :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom