New user of Media portal - need help setting up (1 Viewer)

Danniboy79

August 18, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have found media portal on an internet search and am impressed with the software!

I am however unable to set it up as I have no idea what I am doing, its a first for me.

I have windows xp professional and am using the BlackGold 3620 PCI-E tuner card
BGT3620 - BlackGold

I have the latest drivers installed for the hardware and should be ready to go with it.

Can anyone help me get started?

Thanks in advance!:)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome Danniboy79 :)

For TV, the general process is:
    1. Scan for channels.
    2. Map channels to tuners.
    3. Set up channel groups.
    4. Set up timeshifting and recording paths.
    5. Set up Web EPG.

Our wiki might help you. There's a quick setup guide -->here<--, and -->here<-- is a thread that I *highly* recommend that you read.

mm

Danniboy79

August 18, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there, thanks very much for your reply

Very helpful links, I am currently scanning through the cards listed on the software, and its finding the channels including HD so its going good so far,

I must admit i did not realize there would be as much time needed to set it all up but i guess its just that its so new to me that its taking longer!

One thing I wanted to check with you is... when I open the TV server configuration, it says something about an outdated parser, and that my version is too buggy? but I have the latest version downloaded from this website. Perhaps I am missing something but wondered if you could clear that up.

I click ok, and it takes me to the website area which details requirments etc. but I can then continue to use the software without any issue it seems...??

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Danniboy79

You mean the outdated Psisdecd.dll? That is something I *highly* recommend that you install, else it may come back to bite you. If you read the comments at that location then you'd see why it is needed. Do follow the installation instructions -->here<--. It is a 30 second job and then you can forget about it. :)

mm

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Danniboy,

I must admit i did not realize there would be as much time needed to set it all up but i guess its just that its so new to me that its taking longer!

You are correct, but this is because MP is very flexible with the options it offers. You are not on your own, I was a little confused when I first started using it a couple of years back. What may help is considering it as two parts, one part is the TV Server with the second part being MP itself. Once you have setup the TV server element that is pretty much it - it is absolutely rock solid. MP needs setting up with folders for videos, pictures and music but that isn't difficult. It certainly isn't "install and go"... but by getting stuck in with it you will find that the beauty of the system is its flexibility and some superb plugins & skins.

I now use it full time TV viewing in the living room (47" LCD and Sony surround system) and have two clients in the bedroom and kitchen running from the main unit in the living room. Even the GF uses it now without fuss.

When I have friends around they always say "hey, how do you get YouTube on your TV?" and/or "How do you get BBC iPlayer on your TV?" Even my gadget fuelled neighbour with his Sky+ HD multiroom and Apple TV is envious.

Persevere and you'll reap the benefits.

HTH,

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom