New Webinterface (1 Viewer)

Chris84

Portal Pro
December 4, 2005
Before discussion about features we should end up with decissions about the basics, other ways this here gets confusing, cause we are talking about to diffrent things.

And to this webguide, seems to use a lot of AJAX Elements and i'm not sure it's running so nicly with other browsers than IE.

Chris84

Portal Pro
December 4, 2005
Well this is up to the developer. :) You can write AJAX Scripts working fine on the public browsers, but you also can write Scripts incompatible to such browsers.
To design a site looking and working identical on every browser, taking much more time. Some features even will never be possible with all browsers.
It's a bit like in the time of netscape 4.x. :)

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    firefox support is a must for me, I don't care about supporting old browsers , IE :)

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If written carefully AJAX will be supported by all important browsers. But it won't function properly on a mobile device.

The following plugin works in most browsers and is fully AJAX driven. I can't share it yet because since the new music engine it doesn't function properly anymore. I haven't had the time yet to figure out what's the problem.
    Next to that it isn't finished yet. I hope to have it finished for the 0.3 release.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=9768&highlight=php

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, but usually you have a different version for mobile devices anyway as the small screens dictate a radically different layout, in most cases.

Chris84

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2005
    nice, we are discussing about details, but the basics are still open.

I'd prefer to build this bottom up and don't starting with the roof, without having a fundament.

Is there something against this procedure, then let me know.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Geez, looks like I've opened up a new can of worms with my links.

Like Chris84 said, can we please bring this thread back to talking about new Web interface architecture. By architecture I mean how the web interface will communicate with MP, and possibly what language and web server to run it in. Features, what to implement etc. will be decided later, but we need the framework first.

And if we're all motivated and knowledgable enough, it shouldn't be hard to get AJAX, CSS and whatever else working on all browsers, the most painful one being IE6 (as IE7 is a lot better). But then again, IE7 is being pushed out as an 'important update' so IE6 *should* soon be gone forever :)

Sam
    p.s. Chris84, IIRC you started this thread so maybe you could change the topic of this thread to include the word framework or architecture; maybe people will better understand the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom