Operating System New Windows 10 /1511 (Threshold 2) causes trouble (2 Viewers)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just installed the new 1511 Win 10 upgrade and ran into a series of issues:

All privacy settings are lost and reset to maxi!um data transfer
    Thunderbird can no longer store messages and complains about missing space and/or access rights
    The Server 2012 launchpad is no longer functional: login to the server not possible.
    ImDisk ram disk is marked with a question mark and not functioning anymore

I uninstalled the server connector. After reboot I tried to reinstall but the server is no longer found. At this point I stopped testing and launched a restore to the previous version.

I am not expecting Microsoft to test compatibility with all existing software on the market, but the Server 2012 connection not working anymore is very disappointing. Restore was easy and I have my RamDisk back. The connector is also working so this is clearly something related to the new Wndows package.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just great: The Connector is unfortunately not working correctly - and now I can neither uninstall it correctly nor reinstall it :mad:

Thank you so much Microsoft...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To close this discussion: Microsoft did not really test in connection with its own software:rolleyes:. The following is happening:
    • The file LaunchPadContent.dll (in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad) is deleted during the 1511 upgrade process.
      • WHS 2011 and WSE 2012 users should save this file prior to updating their WIn 10 installation
      • Copying the file back to the above location and rebooting restores the LaunchPad functionality
    The other thing is that older versions of IMDisk are not compatible with 1511. The respective RamDisk shows with a question mark and is not functional. A new version of IMDisk (Nov 15) can be dowloaded, which works in connection with 1511.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the meantime I have upgraded five PCs to TH2. Other than the launchpad topic and the need to installed a new IMDisk driver I haven't had any problem since.

But you can of course wait until July 2016 before upgrading to Win 10.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the meantime I have upgraded five PCs to TH2.
    I upgraded mid august my HTPC following a catastrophic system hard drive failure of my Windows 7 installation.
    I've had issues with my Sound Blaster Z Dolby Digital Live failure but that got mostly fixed since TH2.
    Only running 4 PCs with Windows 10 now and I'm mostly a happy customer :)
    One annoyance I've had on my HTPC since TH2 I eventually managed to fix yesterday.
    I'm so happy I entirely skipped that Windows 8 madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom