New zoom mode: 4/3 -> 16/9 non-linear distortion (1 Viewer)

J-B-N

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have been hopeing for a feature like this since I began to use MP. Unfortunately my coding skills are too rusty to beable to help out. So I can only provide my moral support.

dipunm

Portal Pro
August 6, 2006
WOW, it looks like were back here again :p
I requested this feature some time ago.. now looking at that post by mystic2k, it looks almost like an image placed on a curved plate...

considering that MP is (as far as i kno) based on a 3d DX engine, couldnt the video be placed onto a 3d mesh to simulate this?.... i kno its possible with that xaml and the new .net, but so far, MP has no support for this, and I think, splicing and stretching the video manually may be too processor bearing.... and would require maybe a complete rewrite of the way the video is displayed.

Well, I really hope this new feature is implemented soon. Id love to see it in action.

moti_r

Portal Member
April 3, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
I'm with you :)

IMHO MP supercedes MCE with *everything* except for this intelligent stretch cabaility.

As previously mentioned, FFDSHOW supports this so you might want to install it and give it a shot. I would still be happy to see something like that integrated into MP.

One comment though - I would make the stretching variables (e.g. amount of stretch in the center/sides etc) as configurable as possible, allowing users to create stretching presets.

kalinium1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Any news on this one?
    It would be great for just watching TV. In MCE I use this zoom mode all the time, but I much prefer using MP....

ol263

Portal Member
    March 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi all,

I did some testing with MCE 2005 last night. I created an uncompressed AVI video containing a grid of 1024*768 pixels (each square 32*32 pixel) and played it in MCE using "intelligent zoom" on my 1360*768 LCD. Examining the resulting screenshot allowed me to determine the zoom/stretch values that are being used :

1) The image is zoomed by 9.1%, resulting in a slight cropping of the top and bottom portion of the picture.

2) The values used for the non-linear stretch can be found in the attached file (sorry for the poor quality... but it's readable !)

Looking at these results, I think that the reason the MCE implementation looks so smooth is because as you can see in the attachment, even the very center of the image is stretched by 8.9% (while in some implementation I think it remains totally untouched). This and the top/bottom cropping results in lower stretching values needed on the sides, therefore less noticeable distortion.

I don't know what I can do to help further and encourage one of the MP devs to implement this, but anything that can be done without programming knowledge should be ok ! Let me know ! :)

Cheers,

Laurent

I've implemented according to these settings. See Here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom