newbie come back (1 Viewer)

classico2

Portal Member
June 7, 2009
Home Country
Viet Nam Viet Nam
hello everyone
i quit for a year but still missed this forum, just put up garage sale and have extra cash, this time i like to put ultimate HTPC, here is the list ready to purchase. please help me to decide which hardware and software , my goal is 3D or 1080p movie, and superp sound 2 chanel stereo and 7.1 surround. i dont use TV guide or record TV
i am not good with software or anykind of program, just something simple to install.

1- Case Silverstone LC18B-V64 Black ATX
2- CPU Intel or AMD ?
3- Mother board undecide
4- RAM DDR3 6gig
5- Hardrive 1 SSD for operating system, 2x 2TB for storage
6- Bluray drive
7- Graphic Sapphire HD 6870 or EVGA GTX 580 ?
8- Sound Card Lynx or M-Audio
9- PS Corsair TX750W 750-Watt

software Window 7 Ultimate, Deamon tool, Powerdvd 10, Rar

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I agree with the above - that card is a massive overkill for just a htpc.

An ATI 5450 will just cut it, but if you want to enable (and have used) some of the ATI post processing options, then a 5550 or a 5670 will be fine. Or an GTX 420 or above, but nvidia cards due tend to run hotter (what I mean to say is that there are fewer passive/fanless nvidia cards than ATI)

Bare in mind each step up you go, means more power and more heat. Anything over a 5670 will require additional power to the card (which in turn may means you need a large PSU).

As I said above the trick is small/low power and quiet (sufficient for a HTPC) in terms of heat, noise and power. a 750W PSU is also a massive overkill. PSU's have "sweet spots" for being efficeient - if you under or over utilise them, they arentt as efficient as they can be.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom