Codecs Newbie issue with Stuttering during DXVA MPC-HC (2 Viewers)

aussieuser

September 25, 2011
I have been reading up on all of this as much as a I can to the point where my head feels like it is going to pop, so bare with me I hope I can be clear enough to get access my point with my knowledge gaps. I love MediaPortal and the plugins have blown my mind but I've got a problem with 1080p MKV and MP4 files slightly stuttering every 2 seconds like DXVA on my GPU is struggling to keep up. Nearly all of my TV Shows and Movies are h264 .MP4 or MKV 720p, some are 1080p.

Hardware
AMD Fusion 'Zacate' E-350 with 1.6 GHZ dual core processor and a Radeon HD 6310 GPU that supports DXVA. 4GB Ram.
LED TV Via HDMI
Logitech Z-5500 Sound System Via Coax form TV

Windows 7

Codecs
MPEG-2 Video Decoder: MPC - Video Decoder
h.264 Video Decoder: MPC - Video Decoder
MPEG/AC3 audio decoder: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
AAC audio decoder: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
Audio Render: Default DirectSound Device

Splitter
LAV .35

Problem 1
For example playing "Invisible Worlds" which according to VLC is VIDEO H264 MP4 AVC (Part 10) (avc1) 1920x1076 and AUDIO DTS Audio 48000HZ bit rate 1536 kb/s results in a slight yet noticeable stutter where every 2 seconds you see the video pulse dropping a frame. Is this normal or should I be experiencing smooth playback of 1080p MP4 with DXVA?

This is a graph studio map and from what I can gather it looks like it's all working how it should?

Problem 2
From reading around I saw that this may be due to the fact that I'm using both Media Player Classic Home Cinema Video AND Audio decoders. It was recommended to use all Windows 7 default Microsoft DVT-DVD Video/Audio Decoders except for h.264 Video decoder where the use of MPC was recommended. However when I choose this configuration I get no sound. I also get no sound when using MONOGRAM for AAC decoder.

So I'm stuck using all MPC.

Problem 3
I'm occasionally getting Freezing of H264 MP4 video files that have MPEG AAC Audio. The video freezes but the sound continues.

So I know I've got quite a few problems but as far as I can tell they're all Codec related? I could be completely wrong and I am grateful for any help provided. I have also included all logs available. View attachment 89412
:D

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Try using the DivX AAC audio codec for AAC - it's free from DivX Plus Codec Pack. For most AAC streams (but not live TV) FFDShow Audio decoder should also work. Note you can mix and match video/audio decoders - they don't have to be both MS-DTV or MPC-HC, for example.

The dropped frame/stutter every 2 seconds may be due to mis-matched video and display refresh rates - in your logs you are playing a 24Hz file on a 60Hz display, so if your TV supports it try running at 24Hz (you can use the refresh rate changer in MP to change the display refresh automatically if you want to). If you want to check what's going on, pressing Shift+1 (!) on the keyboard while a video is playing will bring up the render stats screen.

Tony

aussieuser

September 25, 2011
    Try using the DivX AAC audio codec for AAC - it's free from DivX Plus Codec Pack. For most AAC streams (but not live TV) FFDShow Audio decoder should also work. Note you can mix and match video/audio decoders - they don't have to be both MS-DTV or MPC-HC, for example.

The dropped frame/stutter every 2 seconds may be due to mis-matched video and display refresh rates - in your logs you are playing a 24Hz file on a 60Hz display, so if your TV supports it try running at 24Hz (you can use the refresh rate changer in MP to change the display refresh automatically if you want to). If you want to check what's going on, pressing Shift+1 (!) on the keyboard while a video is playing will bring up the render stats screen.

Tony

Thanks for your prompt reply Tony, I'll try all that out tonight and get back to you. Very interesting about the refresh rates.

:D

Ok I've implemented your advice. Automatic refresh rate does change the refresh rate when watching files however the trade off is that this resets my scaling for my HDTV. It's set to overscan and when changing refresh rate it puts the picture into a box until I go back into AMD catalyst and set to overscan/scale again.

UPDATE: Ok by following https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...efresh-rate-change-changed-screen-size-74321/ I seem to have sorted the Dynamic Refresh Rate out however I'm still getting the pulsating video every couple of seconds even running at 24GHZ. Any other ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    aussieuser, I'm having similar issues, see my thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/occasional-micro-stutter-all-media-100338/

Intriguingly you're using a Fusion APU as am I. I ended up buying and plugging in a GT520 which mostly got rid of the problem (though I still see an occasional one on live HDTV).

Anyway I've spent the last couple of hours messing with the tweaked EVR presenter here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nter-dshowhelper-community-development-81148/

After some experimentation I settled on 0078_part_dwm (with MediaPortal Audio Renderer too) and it's giving me absolutely perfect HDTV on the GT520, however I can't turn the HTPC off to yank the GT520 out and try the onboard GPU with it till the girlfriend goes to bed ;)

TLDR version: try some of the tweaked dshowhelpers as per above and see if any of them help?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would try the ms codecs, they seem to be pretty good. Be aware of the risks of codec packs, they are hard to get rid of again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom