newbie Q: what is advantage of server/client setup if only have one dedicated PC ?? (1 Viewer)

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
[SOLVED] what is advantage of server/client setup if only have one dedicated PC ??

Naive question possibly but I'll ask it anyway - there may be others who are a bit confused about the path MP is taking.

I have a single dedicated Windows PC to run MP and then this is connected to my home network of three more Linux PCs. I do sometimes copy stuff about from my main linux PC (e.g. photos and music) to my Windows MP machine. However, nearly all the time the MP PC justs sits there and does great stuff with this wonderful MP software. BTW it sits under my TV in the living room because it is absolutely silent so i don't need or want to move it to another room etc.

Now my question is this: there are many people like me (actually some with even more simple setups - like just one PC) and we will all be asking ourselves: "What is the advantage of a server/client arrangement for us?"

I once tried mythtv on a linux machine and that, too, has a server/client system. I know mythtv is much further behind than MP but I just remember it as being unneccessarily complicated (nightmare actually) to setup and maintain for what I needed. I gave up on it in the end but that is another story.

I fully understand that there are many good reasons for some users to move to a split system but, you experts, what are the advantages for people like me to move over to server/client when the beta MP versions are more stable?

Also, if people think I (and people like me) should just stick to the current version - will it continue to be supported (core and plugins?)

Hope my point is clear

TIA

RJ

EDIT: Sorry - did search but didn't find the link to frodo's explanation. Could this be a more prominent sticky somewhere?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I like the simple fact that I don't have to have MP (the application) running to record my shows. If I want to do something really quick on my dedicated HTPC machine... and I really don't want the MP client running.. I can now shut it down and my shows will still record. I can also edit some of the stuff within MP setup without a problem. Before, is something was recording... I would need to wait.

Down the road... everything related to TV will be taking out of MP and the new TV server engine will take it's place. It will be to a point where the new engine is exactly the same (on the outside) as it was with MP. You won't even notice a difference. So it will work just like MP does now... but then have the ability to do all this extra stuff... for those who want to use it.

Unless you are doing things like that... there really isn't much difference between the two. But if you really want your shows to record and everything to pretty much work.. I would stick with 0.2.1 or 0.2.0 + SVN file.

arjay

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Coin, Spain
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess it may all come down to the ease of install. For newbies and others not so hot on MP-type software, if the install is not much different to the current MP and more stuff is automated (for example setting up the epg or installing an stb outside the USA) then we probably wouldn't see too much different. My worry is that MP is already more difficult to install than some similar programs so I would not want to see it get more difficult.

Anyway the end result is so good I'll battle away to get it working"!!

RJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom