Newbie Question RE Streaming to Android Device (1 Viewer)

jorrell

Portal Member
November 25, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
HI, ive recently just installed mediaportal and im wanting to stream channels to my android device (Samsung S3) over the internet (Mobile Network Not LAN/WIFI). Ive read this can be done with Ampdroid app and installing the mediaportal extended services etc. However upon reading whats required for the Mobile app, It mentions installing TVHome on your WHS. Im running Win 7(64bit) and cannot install TVhome. AMi reading this correctly and you can only use this on Windows Home Server? I just want to be able to access mymediaportal via my Android Device to watch Live TV,Mainly for FTA Channels from Sky UK (28.2) & 19.2/13East.
My Equipment:
Im using a TBS QBOX 2 on 1m Motorised Dish (39E-45W)
Win 7 (64bit) 16GB RAM with ATI 6770HD GPU

Any help would be appreciated as im at a loss as to the correct procedure

Thanks Jorrell

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think you found some outdated documentation.. Where did you find this?

Nowadays, you only need to install the MPExtended Service on the PC, which runs perfectly fine on Win7.

jorrell

Portal Member
    November 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Ah ok i see. So if i install the MPExtended Service how to i access mediaportal via the android? which app? I saw Ipimp but that appears to be for Apple devices only?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    aMPdroid. The app didn't change, but the "serverside" (i.e. what you install on the PC) has changed ;)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There are 2 ways to do this
    1. Ampdroid with MPExtend service (as above)
    2. MPExtend service + MPExtend Webmediaportal, then use your internet browser on your tablet rather than ampdroid.

jorrell

Portal Member
    November 25, 2012
    Home Country
    ok. I now have Ampdroid working over my Wireless Network but no matter what i do i cant seem to get it to change channels. I can browse all the channels no problem, but whenever i choose another channel, it just reloads the same stream? What am i doing wrong? Also and this is mainly why i want to use this, Ive no idea how to set up ampdroid to connect via 3G/Mobile network while away from home? Can anyone point me to a tutorial or give me some idea cos im afraid im lost. I dont know what settings to enter in Ampdroid whatsoever for connecting to my PC over the internet, not my home Wifi? Ive read i need to set up a static Ip address but i need a little help here. thanks a lot

Jorrell

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ok. I now have Ampdroid working over my Wireless Network but no matter what i do i cant seem to get it to change channels. I can browse all the channels no problem, but whenever i choose another channel, it just reloads the same stream? What am i doing wrong?
    Can you try to stop the stream, wait 30 seconds, and then go to the next channel? There's a known bug which results in tuners not being freed for a while after the stream has been stopped.

Also and this is mainly why i want to use this, Ive no idea how to set up ampdroid to connect via 3G/Mobile network while away from home? Can anyone point me to a tutorial or give me some idea cos im afraid im lost. I dont know what settings to enter in Ampdroid whatsoever for connecting to my PC over the internet, not my home Wifi? Ive read i need to set up a static Ip address but i need a little help here. thanks a lot
    You have to forward port 4322 in your router to the PC which runs the MPExtended service, and then configure your external address in aMPdroid. You might get more detailed instructions if you post in the aMPdroid forum, along with the problems you have ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom