[solved] Newbie user, new card (tbs6985) and first integration with MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

beranim

June 1, 2014
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just installed a sat card (TBS6985) today and am trying to get this to link up with MediaPortal V1.7.1). Unfortunately the documentation provided by TBS is somewhat lacking (IMHO). So I am really stuck. ..

Being a complete novice, I had hoped this would be simple ...

I have a Sky HD box and have disconnected this, and tested that with a Humax Freesat PVR which works fine, i.e. it is getting a signal, sets up the EPG and can p[lay and record. I have then disconnected the Humax PVR and connected the same cables to the TBS6985 card - in the hope it would simply (by magic) work). Sadly, like many things in life, it didn't work :)

The card itself, has 4 tuners and appears to have installed OK (windows 7), and I can see 4 tuners on MediaPorta(all enabled). However I only have two cables coming in from the sat dish at the moment (so two are currently redundant).

Under DVB-EPG, TV grabber, - store for selected channels in enabled
Under Radio-EPG, Radio Grabber - store for selected channels is enabled

In MediaPortal itself, I can select radio channels and listen, but when I try the 'TV' I get a side-window opening (which I can scroll through) but cannot select anything. I therefore assume that the TV-EPG grabbing is not working.

The answer is probably blindingly obvious, but at the moment I have no sense of how to approach solving the problem. So any guidance help is very welcome indeed.

Based on other threads, I will probably need to answer more questions first ...
Thanks for your time

beranim

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Have you successfully scanned for the channels in mediaportal?

If so are you able to preview them in the Tv Server configuration: TV Channels > Select channel and click preview.

beranim

June 1, 2014
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi, thanks for the very speedy response.

I am able to preview a random selection through the TV Server configuration, as you indicated. So that sounds promising for a start. Double checked that nothing magical had happened (didn't expect it) and am still unable to view in MediaPortal itself still

beranim

beranim

June 1, 2014
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi again,

I believe this is the key post
    1. Under TV servers > (Name of server PC) - click on the DVB-S card and click edit. Ensure 'Allow this card to be used for EPG grabbing is selected.
    All 4 tuners on the card are showing 'enabled'

2. Under DVB EPG > TV EPG: ensure 'Store data only for selected channels' is unselected. You don't need to select any channels here. In the list of languages make sure all the English languages are selected.
    I have unselected the channels, but still have all English languages selected

3. Under DVB EPG > Radio EPG Grabber: Ensure that ''Store data only for selected channels' is unselected and select 'Freesat info' in the list of radio channels. In the list of languages make sure all the English languages are selected.
    I have unselected the channels, but still have all English languages selected

4. Manual Control > Refresh DVB EPG (or just wait and it will populate over time.
    I have performed a manual refresh.

Still no sign of change in MediaPortal.

I assume the card type (which is showing as "DVB-S") is not relevant, i.e. it shouldn't be showing "DVB-S2"?

Out of curiosity, what is supposed to happen when a user 'clicks on TV' - is it my misunderstanding of what will happen here ?

Thanks again
    b.

beranim

June 1, 2014
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi Erichzann, really appreciate your time and support, but I am a bit confused.

I cannot find a reference to "Freesat" in either Step 4 (manual refresh) or Step 3 (for the radio channels).

I note when I am 'looking around', I see that all channels have got the same channel number 10000 (is that relevant at all?) - visible on the "TV Channels - top level UI". It shows 762 channels some green some red (I assume the red are encrypted channels).

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    There should be a radio channel actually called 'freesat info' which is what transmits the epg data.

If you can't see it I suggest a rescan.

If it still doesn't show up after a rescan I have had success in the past with another TBS product changing the 'preferred network supplier' to DVBS in the 'edit' card properties dialog (i.e. the same place you check to see if 'EPG grabbing was enabled for the card.'), and then rescanning and that may pick up the missing channels.

beranim

June 1, 2014
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I have selected the "freesat info" on the radio channel and rescanned. Seemed to make no difference.

I tried changing the "generic" to "DVBS" for the car and again made no difference.

On a slight aside, I have also been playing with MediaPortal, and by going navigating to a screen with the sideways scrolling 'functions' (e.g settings' rather than the normal sceen which as has 6 fixed functions - I have managed to see TV transmissions coming in. However, there is no EPG information so it is unusable long term, - but at least I can see that I am getting a satellite tranmission from the dish to MediaPortal. Which is a start,

Many thanks indeed

beranim

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    If you have the freesat info radio channel selected then do step 4 and do the manual EPG refresh and it should work. Or just leave it over night and it will have populated by the morning.

I only meant rescan if you couldn't see the freesat info radio channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom