Newby Questions - Shaw HD and MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

mmiller

November 20, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Folks!

Total newby here - actually a total outsider as I have yet to install/run the software :eek:

I have some general/broad questions before I decide to undertake another DVR project ;-)

My background is Microsoft's Media Center (XP & Windows 7) and DVRMS-Toolbox/Show Analyzer/Comskip. Up until recently I've been running standard analog cable into two Theater 550's and then recording shows, removing commercials and then converting them to .wmv (all automated & courtesy of the DVRMSToolbox) so I have a fairly large time investment in automating my DVR...

However, we're changing our cable setup from analog to Digital/HD with Shaw (our local provider). This leaves me in an interesting place. Microsoft's Media Center will work with my providers's digital STB (no HD) but not with their HD-PVR box.

And so, now I'm wondering if I should stick with the OEM Shaw DVR (and lump it) OR try out connecting it to something new, like....MediaPortal :D I absolutely HATE not being able to delete channels from the guide and it's my understanding that, right off the bat, you can't do that with the OEM hardware DVR they provide....

If anyone has been able to bear with me, this brings me to a couple of broad questions.....

The cable signal is digital and encrypted. The box we're getting is an actual DVR, a Motorola DCX3400. In really broad strokes....

Is is possible to hook up a DCX3400 (or two) to MediaPortal and get Microsoft Media Center-like functionality?
Can those DCX3400's be reliably controlled by MediaPortal? Will I be able to record HD?
Also, do you get full metadata with the recordings that MediaPortal makes? I'm used to all the DVRMS/WTV metadata and I like it!
What would I need for hardware on the MediaPortal machine?
Lastly, does anyone know if DVRMSToolbox (et al) works with Media Portal as well?

I might have more Q's but thanks in advance!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome mmiller :)

I'll do my best to address your questions...

The cable signal is digital and encrypted. The box we're getting is an actual DVR, a Motorola DCX3400. In really broad strokes....

Is is possible to hook up a DCX3400 (or two) to MediaPortal and get Microsoft Media Center-like functionality?
    The type of setup that you're referring too is called a blaster setup. They're not the easiest to get working, but once they're setup they generally work as reliably as any other kind of setup. I don't know if it is possible to control that particular DVR, but you could at least try. With IRSS you should have a very good chance.

Can those DCX3400's be reliably controlled by MediaPortal?
    As above. If the box can be controlled then it should be reliable.

Will I be able to record HD?
    That really depends on what you use to feed the DCX3400 video stream into the PC. With a blaster setup you always have some quality loss due to digital -> analog -> digital conversions or resampling, however if you get a Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus for each DCX3400 then the quality loss is relatively minimal.

Also, do you get full metadata with the recordings that MediaPortal makes? I'm used to all the DVRMS/WTV metadata and I like it!
    You don't get it automatically - you'd need to find a source. I outlined the major options for MP recently -->here<--.

What would I need for hardware on the MediaPortal machine?
    You need a tuner with capture inputs *or* an HD-PVR or Colossus. Since you're after HD I'd definitely recommend the HD-PVR or Colossus option. Note: MP does not support any other "pure" capture devices at this time.

Lastly, does anyone know if DVRMSToolbox (et al) works with Media Portal as well?
    MP recordings are in TS format. Generally speaking I would stay away from Microsoft formats (WMV, WTV, DVR-MS) because they're proprietary and often locked down with DRM. Better to go with a container like MKV if you want to re-encode or re-mux. MP does support Comskip.

Hope that helps!

mm
    :)

I might have more Q's but thanks in advance!

mmiller

November 20, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi MM :D

Thanks for the great response - your reply enabled me to figure out a lot of things and do some more research. It does seem that people using the Colususs card and the STB I mentioned have been able to record HD through their custom PVR's. That alone is a revelation for me as I was very concerned that this would be the end of having a 'home rolled' DVR. In fact, once I was armed with the info about the Colussus I found several folks mentioning that they were using it with no issues in Microsoft's Media Center, so, I might not have to change over my DVR solution....

But the important thing is that it looks like I'm not locked into using my provider's box as a DVR unless I choose to. That's really important to me - I hate being forced into a box (literally - hahaha).

Anyway, thanks again - just putting me on to the Colussus card was a huge thing and opened up a lot of doors :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom