News Module (RSS) (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Yes it would be nice with a feature like that, but I would prefer to get all the bits and pieces that are the basics up first, my Radio :)

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I also like the idea. But I agree with Samsonite about first getting the more important stuff going. This is also a great module that could be made in a seperate plugin. I may start on this as soon as I have my other project (not MP related) finished with will take about another week or 2.

barranger

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    There's a pretty big problem with this plugin idea.

I was actually looking at writting this plugin as I thought it would be quite easy. Then I started thinking about it. Setting up the different news feed, having them displayed, and listing the news briefs would be easy. But then you'd need an integrated browser to follow the link to the actual news story. The problem is how do you do this for people (like me) who are using MediaPortal on a non-HDTV display (ie a CRT TV). The text would be unreadable.

Just my thoughts,
    Domi_fan

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    my idea with the RSS plugin in was that
    - you can configure multiple newsfeeds
    - you can configure on which windows it should present which feed(s)
    - the RSS plugin shows it self like a scrolling line which
    scrolls the headlines of the feed(s)
    So much like the music overlay. Its drawn on top of a window

I agree that displaying the entire article is pretty useless
    But having the latest news headlines scrolling on top of mediaportal
    is a nice feature!

Frodo

barranger

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Ahhh, I was thinking more of having it's own menu item and window, but I like your idea more :)

But I still think that we'd have complaints with people wanting to see the actual article. Plus if it's an overlay is there anyway to have remote users get to an article.

Molokoids

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    Yep my suggestion was about parsing headlines (and maybe pics :) and presenting them fashionably in(tegrated) Media Portal.

Using a RSS feed is about not using a web browser :)

Some pics from mythtv

mythnews1.png

mythnews2.png

A

Anonymous

working on it

Hi guys,
    Wanted to let you know I'm working on a basic version of the RSS reader - I hope to be able to post some screenshots tomorrow.

Frodo - when the time comes, maybe we can take OSD capabilities and scrolling.

Gil

A

Anonymous

here's a screenshot!

Here's what it looks like so far!

rss_med.jpg

Let me know if you like it. My next step is to provide the user the ability input sites, etc via the Plugins page.

Gil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom