No audio after disabling HDMI audio (1 Viewer)

megadodo

Portal Member
January 27, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I recently installed mediaportal 1.2.3 and I could listen to music but the sound came out of my (rubbish) TV speakers. I therefore disabled hdmi audio (in the windows playback devices section) and set my soundcard speakers as the default audio device. I can hear windows OS sounds and I can play audio files using windows media player. However I can no longer hear skin sounds in MP and when I try to play music files, I get an "unable to play blah.mp3" message every time. I have subsequently tried re-enabling HDMI audio, and setting it back as the default device but I still can't hear music within MP. I have tried all the sound device options (notably "default sound device" and "digital audio (hdmi)") in the music configuration settings, to no avail. I have also tried completely removing and reinstalling MP, but that hasn't helped either!

Any help/things to try would be much appreciated.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Ok - you need to config sound output in MePo as well as Windows.

In Config, look at "Codecs and Renderers" section. Here you can select your default sound output device - other than HDMI.

Your lack of sound at all with HDMI enabled could simply be the mixer level for application within Windows is set to 0 - caught more than a few out (with a +1 for me as well).

Take a look at config & mixer, if it is just the simple stuff, sure you'll sort it jig time.

Cheers - JCMP

megadodo

Portal Member
    January 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help - I've made some progress. I found that I have audio when I play videos. Also the skin sounds are back - I had the volume turned down on the remote. I've no idea what volume this is actually controlling though - does MP have its own internal control? The remote volume control only seems to affect the skin sounds - it doesn't change the volume of videos.

I don't think the music problem is related to volumes though, as mediaportal pops up an "unable to play filename.ext" message when I select music tracks.
    Thanks.

megadodo

Portal Member
    January 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Oh forgot to say I tried changing the audio device and audio codecs in the "codecs and Renderers" section of the config, as suggested, but unfortunately it didn't seem to help with the music problem.
    Thanks

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    2013-01-31 20:44:55.667300 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: BASS: Unable to create Stream for C:\Users\Richard\Music\Music\The_Hours-Ali_In_The_Jungle.mp3. Reason: BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN.
    what BASS version do you have? just to be sure it is the version that MP expects

megadodo

Portal Member
    January 27, 2013
    Home Country
    bass.dll is 2.4.7.0, although some of the other dlls are slightly different versions - eg bassmix.dll is 2.4.4.0 and there are a few others. Dunno if that matters? They should just be the files mediaportal installed - i haven't knowingly altered them.
    Thanks

megadodo

Portal Member
    January 27, 2013
    Home Country
    I fiddled around with all the settings, and I found that enabling the "expert" settings and switching to internal dshow player means I can at least hear music again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom