No development with Visual Studio C# 2010 Express?? (1 Viewer)

SvenL

Portal Member
April 6, 2012
Ilmenau
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello folks,

I am a professional developer (C, C++, C# and several others) and I am using MediaPortal since 2011. - I recently discovered a bug in the BASS player when playing certain files and some other glitches I really would like to fix and send an apopriate patch and try a self-compiled x64 build.

I have checked out the git repository and tried to open the solution file with Visual Studio 2010 Express and I am getting an error that this solution file uses features that my product is not covering?

So am I right that opening the solution file is impossible with Visual Studio Express 2010 ?

Kind regards!

Sven

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
September 12, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
When I open in Visual Studio 2012 it works fine and does not upgrade. Maybe now you need 2012?

SvenL

Portal Member
April 6, 2012
Ilmenau
Home Country
Germany Germany
In detail: Visual Studio 2010 C# does not support folders within soluttions. So the following folders are shown as "not available" in the project explorer:
  • Hcwhelper
  • Mpe
  • MusicShareWatcher
  • Plugins
  • PowerScheduler
  • Tv Library
I'll try Visual Studio 2012 and report again...

Kind regards!

Sven

PS: I think an open source project should not use features which require at least the professional version of VisualStudio.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So am I right that opening the solution file is impossible with Visual Studio Express 2010 ?

Yes you get the 'not supported' messages, but that doesn't actually stop you building individual exe's, dll's etc (which is what I normally do during development), and you can use the build .bat files to build the full installer files if you need to. I use VS2010 Express (C# and C++) myself for MP dev.

SvenL

Portal Member
    April 6, 2012
    Ilmenau
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the hint HomeY!

The problem I am experiencing is that the BASS player won't play certain files in my library at all. I have no problems when using WSAPI.

Kind regards!

Sven

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom