No dolby digital sound when watching Movie in MP (1 Viewer)

Kariya

Portal Member
February 20, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I just connected my media center to my new AV receiver Denon 1912 to be finally able to listen to DD 5.1 sound.
Therefore I connected my media center via HDMI Output (of my ATI HD 4550) with the receiver.

I did not have any problems when doing this except the fact that I only hear a stereo sound when I watch a movie within MediaPortal. The strange thing is that everything works fine when using the VLC Media Player, so I guess that my problem is related to the Codec used in MP.

I'm using SAF 5.02 and specified the FDDshow audio decoder as MP audio decoder:

MP Codec and Renderer.JPG

I already tried different settings in the FDDshow audio configuration but without any success so far. Here are my last settings that I tried:

FDDshow output.JPG

Does anyone had a similar problem or can help me the correct Codec settings?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!
    I don't see much wrong to be honest.
    Just two things you can try:
    • In MP Config -> Video Codecs set Audio Renderer to "Default DirectSound Device"
    • In ffdshow config you can try to tick "Connect as PCM first" and untick "AC3 (S/PDIF encode mode)"
    EDIT:
    Maybe one more problem. Could post a screenshot of ffdshow config in Tab "Codecs". Make sure AC3 and/or DTS is not set to disabled..

Kariya

Portal Member
    February 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I tried both things mentioned above (Audio Renderer to "Default DirectSound Device", set flag "Connect as PCM first" and remove flag "AC3 (S/PDIF encode mode)") but without any success.
    The option "Connect as PCM first" made the problem even worse since there was a strange tone coming from all five speakers instead of only providing stereo sound when playing a movie in MP. The only positive aspect is that the strange tone came out of all five speakers :)

I also checked the FDDshow codecs and AC3 and DTS are enabled:

FDDShow Codecs.JPG

Any other ideas?

Thanks and Regards,
    Michael

Kariya

Portal Member
    February 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just installed AC3 Filter and replaced the FDDshow audio decoder in MP Config.
    Now, it works as expected. I still don't understand why it didn't worked with FDDShow but I don't care anymore :)

Thanks a lot!

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I just installed AC3 Filter and replaced the FDDshow audio decoder in MP Config.
    Now, it works as expected. I still don't understand why it didn't worked with FDDShow but I don't care anymore :)

Thanks a lot!

Just remember that AC3filter can't pass HD audio, LAV can ;)

Hint on issue: did you check if your Windows speaker config is set to 5.1?

Kariya

Portal Member
    February 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the note, I just installed LAV to replace AC3filter and this also worked.

My windows speacker config is already set to 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom