No EPG guide on specific frequency (1 Viewer)

WMC-Umsteiger

Portal Member
February 21, 2017
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I started in the German forum but will continue here. TV-Server: Was bedeuten die rote Balken ?

My SKY pay TV subscription contains some TV channels that only transmit on special times or events. There are about 10 channels each.
  • SKY Sport Bundesliga HD 1, 2, 3, etc. (German soccer)
  • SKY Sport HD 1, 2, 3, etc. (Champions League)
  • SKY Eurosport 360 HD 1, 2, 3, etc. (Sport)
I use the standard TV EPG grabber. Generally the gabbing works fine on most of these channels BUT ALL channels on 11798 MHz behave different. The affected channels are here.

upload_2017-11-18_18-26-6.png

The result is shown here at Sky Sport 9: No programm information available but should be Sky Sport.

upload_2017-11-18_18-26-23.png

The frequency scan works fine.

upload_2017-11-18_18-26-56.png

Here is my knowledge and summary so far.
  • During times WITH transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG is grabbed fine.

• During times WITHOUT transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG looks different to the others channels (No programm information available instead of Sky Sport like on other channels).

• During times WITHOUT transmissions all others channels show a kind of idle EPG (Sky Sport).

• During times WITHOUT transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG grabber tries to grab data from these channels which means every one or two minutes (!) the grabber starts TV cards and grabbing without success.

• This behaviour is the same for all channels on 11798 MHz.

• The frequency scan on 11798 MHz works fine.

• Typically in the TVService.log I can find Epg: card:X could not tune to channel:NoPmtFound
  • This behavor is on two different TV cards (1x Digital Devices Cine S2 V5, 1x Digital Devices Cine S2 V6). I have contacted Digital Devices support already who gave me the explanation that the TV card or signal strength can't be the problem because there is a tuner lock on that frequency.

• In the meanwhile I have disabled EPG for channels on 11798 MHz to avoid the grabber continously tries to find EPG data. My goal is to have channels on 11798 MHz behave the same as for other channels. I've been searching for quite a while now without success. Can somebody guide me where to look at ?

Regards,

Klaus F

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

My SKY pay TV subscription contains some TV channels that only transmit on special times or events.
    To make it easy to discuss, let's describe these channels as "occasional channels".

Main points I would like to make:
    1. The EPG grabber cannot grab EPG from an occasional channel while the channel is not being transmitted.
    2. If configured appropriately, the EPG grabber may (depending on provider) be able to grab EPG for an occasional channel from other channels while the occasional channel is not being transmitted.
    3. In my opinion achieving your goal requires you to optimise your EPG grabber configuration.

During times WITH transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG is grabbed fine.
    In my opinion this statement could be a little clearer. I would have said:
    During times WITH transmissions, the EPG grabber can grab from an occasional channel on any transponder.

Here I'm trying to point out that the "issue" that you've noticed is not limited to this one 11798 transponder. Rather, it affects all occasional channels. Also, it's very important to distinguish grabbing from and grabbing for.

During times WITHOUT transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG looks different to the others channels (No programm information available instead of Sky Sport like on other channels).
    During times WITHOUT transmissions all others channels show a kind of idle EPG (Sky Sport).
    I understand. However, I would like to point out that the expectation that [for example] Sky Sport 9 should show the same "idle EPG" (I would call it a "placeholder program") is an assumption. It's probably a very reasonable assumption... but still, the fact that some channels show the placeholders is not a guarantee that all channels should have them. The assumption needs to be tested/confirmed.

During times WITHOUT transmissions on 11798 MHz the EPG grabber tries to grab data from these channels which means every one or two minutes (!) the grabber starts TV cards and grabbing without success.
    Again I would say that this "issue" is not limited to the 11798 transponder.

You have the power to control the EPG grabber's behaviour. If you don't want it to attempt to grab data from occasional channels every one or two minutes then you should change configuration.

This behaviour is the same for all channels on 11798 MHz.
    Are you certain?

I would've expected that the EPG grabber would have no problem grabbing from non-occasional channels on any transponder. To take 11798 as an example: KingOfSat suggests that the two UHD channels are non-occasional. If KingOfSat's information is correct, I would not expect any problem with those channels. Also, I'd also expect that if your assumption about placeholder programs is correct, grabbing from one of the UHD channels should give data for the occasional channels too. Whether that data is kept/used depends on your EPG grabber configuration... so again we come back to that point.

The frequency scan on 11798 MHz works fine.
    I think that depends on your definition of "fine".

Of course it shows that the tuner has no problem tuning the transponder while the occasional channels are not being transmitted (for me this was never in doubt). However, did you notice that the screenshot shows that only 2 channels are found? In other words: the occasional channels are not found. This is as expected [due to the design of the scanner]... but it might give you some insight about why EPG grabbing from the occasional channels also fails during that time.

Typically in the TVService.log I can find Epg: card:X could not tune to channel:NoPmtFound
    This is exactly as expected. It's the reason that the EPG grabber cannot grab EPG from a channel while it is not being transmitted. There's nothing that can be done about this.

This behavor is on two different TV cards
    This behaviour has nothing to do with the tuner.

In the meanwhile I have disabled EPG for channels on 11798 MHz to avoid the grabber continously tries to find EPG data.
    Do you understand the difference between from and for for the EPG grabber?
    In other words, do you understand the significance of the "grab EPG only for channels on same transponder" and "store data only for selected channels" settings?

WMC-Umsteiger

Portal Member
    February 21, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Thank you for clarifying how the EPG grabbing is working. This helps a lot.

Since I added the EPG grabbing of a non-occasional channel on that transponder all seems to be fine now. :)

Thanks and regards,

Klaus F

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom