No HDMI output from integrated HD2500 (1 Viewer)

LionHe

Portal Member
April 7, 2013
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi everybody,
I have been using mediaportal on a windows 7 machine based on an i3-3220 processor with an integrated HD2500 GPU. I was able to watch it through the HDMI output of a P8H77-M motherboard.
After a remote desktop connection that I left open for a while, HDMI output no longer works. I had to reset the PC trying to regain local console access, but it did not work.
It works at boot, but when the login screen should appear, the screen goes blank. If I connect the VGA, everything works.

I tried reinstalling Intel drivers but with little success. By disabling and re-enabling the device, HDMI works until a stand by. No audio comes from the television. Display detection sites not recognize the TV, only a generic display.

Does anyone experienced similar troubles? It seems that there are some register keys that are corrupted but I cannot find information on how to reset it.
My last resort will probably be reinstalling windows 7.

Thank you for your attention,
Lionhe

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    could try following ideas ...

either, use windows restore to roll back to a date pre problem, or

start in windows safe mode.
    uninstall drivers.
    reboot into safe mode again
    run display driver cleaner and registry cleaner.
    reboot, normal mode
    install display drivers.

Last edited:

LionHe

Portal Member
    April 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks for your answer.
    I've tried system restore, but it did not work, probably because of my attempts to uninstall and reinstall Intel video drivers.

I'll try the install in safe mode, but I have not found a driver cleaner for Intel video drivers yet.
    Lionhe

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Throw remote Desktop Away in your setup and just use Teamviewer (free for non-commercial use and can be setup for LAN only). You will never go back to Remote Desktop.

Remote Desktop creates artificial display adapters, and displays and that can screw drivers up in certain setups. Now combine that with hardware (like displays, TVs, AVRs etc). that is very sensitive to way HDMI handshakes are done and you have a problem.

So best is if you have Remote Desktop Issue, use something else. And Teamviewer is superior anyway.

Your specific problem is related to power management of the Intel driver as it looks. The remote connection "blanks" but as you are on a virtual adapter, the driver cannot do a handshake with it (I oversimplified it, I know).

Last edited:

LionHe

Portal Member
    April 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    After another unsuccessful uninstall and reinstall in safe mode, I decided to re-install windows from scratch. Now I will take a system image on a USB disk that I will restore by booting with the windows 7 disk if I ever run in trouble again.
    I will avoid remote desktop in the future...
    Thanks for your suggestions anyway,
    Lionhe

LionHe

Portal Member
    April 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thr suggestion of teamviewer was s really good one. Only annoying thing is that when I disconnect a window pops up on the htpc that requires a keystroke or a mouse click.

Rayures

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The teamviewer pop-up is indeed annoying. I use vnc for my htpc. Quality is a bit less, but very doable for the occasional remote login.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom