No rear speaker output (1 Viewer)

Portal Pro
January 11, 2005
I've been rewiring my HTPC audio system as it seems the sub has never been connected, It's a pretty old system but works well enough for me. I'm using the analogue outputs of an Audigy 2 ZS connected to a Philips A5.600 5.1.speaker setup, It;s pretty immersive with thumping bass but I can't get any output from the rear speakers although everything seems to steer correctly when I use the Windows 10 speaker test or any 5.1 audio test files..Maybe a codec issue?? I'm using LAV at the moment.
Audio has always took a backseat on my setup and I have zero experience in codec configuration so any pointers on where to look would be gratefully received.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Check the 'mixing' settings in LAV Audio Decoder settings - it might be setup to down-mix everything to stereo.

If you play a movie in MP with 5.1 sound, do you get rear channel output then ? (or are you expecting rear channel sound with stereo sources i.e. up-mixing ?)

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,

'Mixing' is turned off in LAV audio, The only time I get true 5.1 surround is on some 'Blockbuster' movies when using TV server. I don't ever use DVDs etc but any downloaded movies never play out of the rear speakers.

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    Just installed Mediainfo and you were right every movie shows up as having 2 channel audio,,.Thanks for helping to figure out what was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom