'No signal' TBS 6984 / 6985 astra 19.2 (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone has had issues tuning to astra 19.2 using TBS cards.

At the weekend I aligned my second satellite dish to astra 19.2 and used 2 of the tuners on my TBS6984 card, then did a channel scan. Mediaportal only found channels on horizonal polarity beams from 19.2. I thought this was a dish alignment issue so re-aligned and nothing changed. I transferred the satellite connections onto my TBS6985 card and tried again. This picked up a few channels on 19.2 vertical beams, but still only getting around 400 of the 900+ channels.

Ive confirmed my satellite is correctly alignned and signal strength / quality is very good for all 'H' beams. Both my TBS6984 & TBS6985 cards were originally connected to a dish facing astra 28.2 which collected all channels with no issues.

I have all the latest TBS drivers, updated Mediaportal satellite list numerous times. Im using standard raven mk4 sky dish with quad lnb. Ive switched the connections on the lnb to see if this makes any difference. Im missing a lot of the canalsat channels.

My plan tonight is to remove all my satellite cards from my TV server, add a TBS 6981 dual tuner connected to 19.2 and do another re-scan to see what happens. The next step would be to use WIndows Media Centre to see if the software is causing an issue? I did have some initial problems in the early days with drivers for TBS cards, but they have worked with no problems using up to date drivers. I have also read here on the MP forums a while back that the transponder lists for some satelites are not up to date and a manual scan is needed.

Any help or advice would be great. I assume if im using a quad DVB-S2 tuner i can use 2 tuners for astra 28.2 and 2 for astra 19.2?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Neild7744

First piece of advice: make sure you turn everything fully off before juggling cables with satellite tuners. Don't want to kill tuners by short circuiting power supplies!

Second piece of advice: are you sure your LNB skew (twist angle) is correct? That is a possible cause for receiving H-pol but not receiving V-pol.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    After quite a bit of fault finding managed to work out what was going on. My dish alignment was fine. My signal strength at the dish was great, however at the PC in my loft was terrible. I did the same test on both dishes using a signal strength meter I pre set and concluded that the shotgun cable I have used is low cost and probably too long. Fitting a 20db booster has picked up all the channels I'd expect. My next step is to double check the dish and lnb, route new cable and 2 booster (1 for each feed) in my garage close to the dish and run better cable. I was quite surprised at the signal drop on the shotgun cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom