[fixed] No TV after IP address change (1 Viewer)

Oysos

March 25, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: MP 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows 7 32bit
CPU Type: Intel Core i7
HDD:
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Motherboard:
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 275 GTX
Video Card Driver: 8.16.11.9107
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Technisat Skystar HD2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1.1.502
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow tryouts
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow tryouts
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow tryouts
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi,

due to changes in the network structure of my LAN, the IP of the computer, on which MediaPortal + TV-Server 1.1.RC1 is installed on, changed.
This had the effect that the TV-Server didn't work any more and with this TV in general.

If I start the TV-Server Configuration, it promts "Unable to connect to 192.168.10.101" (which is the former IP) and displays only a very slim configuration window, which has only the two points "Project" and "TV Servers" in the tree, the sub-tree of "TV-Servers" shows only the fomer IP (192.168.10.101), after clicking on it, the configuration program freezes completly and I have to kill SetupTV.exe.

This is what error.log reports.

To get my MediaPortal running again, I did the following:
  1. stop MySQL and TV-Server services
  2. backup C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\mptvdb\server.MYD
  3. open server.MYD with Notepad++ and change the IP address into the new one
  4. (this only works if the number of characters remains unchanged!)
  5. start MySQL and TV-Server services

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
Hi Oysos,

This should give you a pointer in the right direction - it appears you also need to change the setting within the MediaPortal database:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/installation-configuration-support-53/change-tv-server-ip-address-76902/.

This post describes changing the setting within a MS-SQL database, but I'm sure you'll be able find out how to update the MySQL table (I'm not a MySQL user, so I can't help with that, sorry).

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. it's always a good idea to search the forums first when you have a problem or question, as there's invariably been someone who's had the same question before!

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    i have the same problem, you don't use the IP, only the Hostname, if don't work you must choice
    IP addresse -> validate -> Auto -> validate and is OK

Oysos

March 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

thx for your answers :D

Well, I did make a quick search here in the forum and with google but unfortunately I missed that posts...

But in my human opinion the Loopback device is just a workaround.

I want to make a view statements:
    • MediaPortal is not only for hackers and computer freaks
    • media portal is used on commen computers by common people
    • these computers are connected to simple LANs
    My conclusion is that a simple change of the IP adress (think of DHCP!) of the machine mediaportal is running on must not cause such problems and if this is only correctable by hacking the database manually, this is a bug.

Furthermore the TV-Server configuration GUI doens't react correctly: very slow, no possibility of changing the ip manually, crashing.

Cheers
    Hannes

lm

Portal Member
    April 5, 2006
    Agreed. Routers have to be reset once in a while. Occasionally mine will reassign LAN IPs. DHCP says this should be expected as routine anyway.

Downloaded/installed/ran SQL server management studio express, found an entry with the incorrect IP under MPTVDBRC2 and MPTVDBRC4 (the tables in the post didnt exist on my PC), changed them both, still MP fires up incorrectly! Then found this post... tracked down the equivalent but again different file on my machine (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\mptvdb\server.MYD), changed the IP in there, and still MP errors looking at old IP!!

This should've been dealt with instantly and automatically to begin with. Yet the amount of fighting I have had to do to get it working again is typical of MP, and very frustrating. And it still doesn't work. I don't want to have to completely uninstall and reinstall MP every time some little thing goes wrong. It's a LOT of work to reconfigure every bloody thing every time. I'm beginning to think the wife is right and it's not worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom