Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The source for that article is here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

IMHO the relevant section (the actual quote) is:
    In a private meeting this week at the Build developers' conference in San Francisco, a Microsoft executive confirmed to me that there will be no update to the company's Media Center software for Windows 10.

Note that "no update" does not mean that there won't be an add-on (like there is for W8/8.1).

Yes, later on the article says:
    [collapse]
    The decision is a disappointment to the small but incredibly vocal army of Media Center enthusiasts, who had held out hope that a Windows 10 Media Center add-on, similar to the one offered for Windows 8, might appear at the last minute.

That's not happening. Any PC that is upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 will lose the Media Center functionality, and there's no way to get it back.

If you try to install the most recent build of Windows 10 on a PC running Media Center, you get this stark warning before setup will continue:[/collapse]

However, that reads like extrapolation/speculation based on what happens with the current W10 builds.

In fact, there are conflicting reports, like this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/2z51kw/multiple_new_skus_are_spotted_in_windows_10_build/

Note the "ProfessionalWMC" SKU.

In other words, I'm not convinced that an add-on won't be available... and I will remain sceptical until after the actual release, and the dust from any WMC user backlash has settled. After all, I don't see any technical reason that MS couldn't offer a paid add-on. They might not want to extend support... and AFAIK WMC runs on .NET 3.5, which is going EOS/EOL... but that doesn't have to stop them.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you look at what the landscape is going to be when Windows 10 comes out (phones and tablets, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Netflix etc) you're talking about a smaller userbase for Windows and a smaller percentage of that smaller userbase who will need WMC. That and the effort to port maybe MS have decided it's not worth it. I suspect there's at least one WMC developer who's heard of MediaPortal ;-)

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    The news is spreading all over tech-sites, so I guess we will see an official statement (confirming or denying) from MS in a near future. Lets assume it will happen and WMC will be no longer available. Seeing what MS is lately doing: creating .NET foundation, opening .NET, releasing VS Core for Linux and Mac OS... What if MS would say: we dropping WMC and MP2 is the best replacement/follow-up product for existing WMC user. By the way, MS could send a bit dev-power to push MP2 forward :D Could our @PublicRelations get in touch with MS to make such a proposition? :whistle: Just a thought..

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    so I guess we will see an official statement (confirming or denying) from MS in a near future.
    Yes, let's hope so. :)

If you look at what the landscape...
    That's just the thing. When I look at the landscape, the increasing variety in hardware/devices is great from a consumer perspective. More choice, flexibility and all that. However, the fragmentation in content offerings is a pain. There's no single service (eg. Netflix) that has all the content that I want, and there's no nice way to aggregate/integrate content from multiple services... even on a single device, let alone across all my devices. I don't think there'll ever be a single service for all my content, but perhaps there could be "something" that aggregates/integrates services. In my opinion Microsoft has the money and influence to make WMC that "something". It's funny. This situation actually reminds me of why I started using MediaPortal. Back in the day MediaPortal was the only software that could give me access to all my content - at the time: music, video files, TV, FM radio - in one convenient interface...

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can remember when thy had added HD support to W7 WMC RC. There where people who did not believe me on mce-community, because in W7 beta there where no HD support in MCE.
    And the quote "no update to WMC" means to me, that there will be no changes, but MCE as it is now will be part of W10. (that's my guess).

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the fragmentation in content offerings is a pain

Definitely agree with this. I don't mind buying music from Amazon / Google / iTunes because I download it as an MP3 and it goes in the music folder and MP imports it and that's all good, but I've just bought two seasons of a kids TV show from Google because there's nowhere else to get it from. Not only is it not in MediaPortal but I don't even feel like I own a copy despite a credit card statement which says I definitely paid for it, and that makes me a little uneasy.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Time to make Mediaportal Wizard with step-by-step configuration based on MPEI for easy migration.
    Dreaming loooong time about coding it :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom