Noisy output using BASS engine (1 Viewer)

TioSolid

Portal Member
March 21, 2009
Hi guys, Im trying to play some MP3 files inside mediaportal and the output is all noisy with lots of "cracking" sounds like old vinyls. Im sure the problem is MediaPortal since playing the files with MPC-HC works flawlessly. Im using the BASS engine with the following configs:

Upmix to 7.1: Disabled
Gapless playback: enabled

Is there any way to solve that? My setup includes a 5.1 system, but its set to output 2.1 and as i said, it works with MPC-HC

MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel Pentium D 950 3.4Ghz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Memory: Corsair 2GB (2x1GB)
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI
Video Card: Geforce 9400GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Realtek AC97
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-150
1. TV Card Type: Analog
HTPC Case: 3RSys HT-3000
Cooling: Intel stock cooler
Power Supply: Seventeam 450w
Remote: iMon Remote
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

DBeasley

September 18, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I have the same problem. Music plays fine in iTunes and media player but I get the noises you describe when playing through MP. Have you managed to solve the problem yet.

Cheers

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I've had that problem before, usually when I installed MP for the first time…but this has not happened to me in a long time. I used to fix this by switching to the Direct Sound option, starting MP playing some music, then close MP, go back into the config-app and then selecting the BASS. It worked every time...fixing it permanently until I decided to reinstall MP.

Don't ask me why this happens, but somehow BASS just got confused, and needed a reset...:D

DBeasley

September 18, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :)

Thanks for your responses. Playing aroud with the settings - as suggested above - I found that the noise stopped when I turned of ASIO, which didn't seem to make any difference to the sound quality anyway.

Thanks again

TioSolid

Portal Member
    March 21, 2009
    yes, ASIO should only be enabled with cards that support that. Anyway, I dont have ASIO enabled here, BUT I still didnt try the 7.1 trick.

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    *Push* Noisy BASS-Playback

I am experiencing the same noise wenn playing MP3s with BASS. Any other player (inclunding built-in Directsound-Player) works fine.
    Upmixing to 5.1 / 7.1 removes the noise but delivers VERY poor sound quality.

I am sure that I have once been able to listen to MP3s with BASS without the noise. Maybe a MP or codec update broke things.
    As I don't have ASIO drivers installed that should not be the problem, ASIO is diabled within BASS configuration.

If there have been recent changes to the BASS engine I might consider updating MP to a newer VSS snapshot but I'd rather not to as the beta runs quite fine.

Can anyone spread some light on this?

Many thanks!

DiePlage

MediaPortal Version: 1.1 (Beta Release)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueWide
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 5050E 2x2,6Ghz
    HDD: Seagate Pipeline HD .2 (ST31000322CS) 1TB
    Memory: Corsair 2GB (2x1GB)
    Motherboard: Jwele MINIX 780G Mini-ITX
    Video Card: Geforce 9400GT
    Video Card Driver: Always Latest Catalyst
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Codec
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: FireDTV S2
    1. TV Card Type:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling: Jetway Low-Profile cooler
    Power Supply: 300W
    Remote: FireDTV
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just restored an old 1.0.2 installation and BASS played my MP3s without any noise.
    Is there a way to "downgrade" BASS engine? Or -the other way around- to include a newer engine directly from un4seen?

Any help is welcome here, folks! I am really stuck...

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    !! BOUNTY !! Solve this problem and be rewarded!

Update:

My setup: I have a Yamaha RX-V465 connected to my htpc running MP 1.1beta via hdmi on my ATI HD3200 IGP.
    There are two drivers for the built-in hdmi audiodevice on this IGP: one directly from ATI and one from Realtek.
    The crackling noise only happens with the realtek driver. MP3-playback is fine (no noise) when I use the ATI-HDMI driver. However it is only possible to playback 2.0 PCM with this driver.
    When I use a newer Realtek driver for "ATI HDMI-Audiodevice", even DD or DTS are forwarded correctly over to my AV-receiver. So obviously I would prefer this driver if there wasn't this crackling noise playing MP3 files.

This noise ONLY exists in MP when using the built-in BASS player. ANY other player will work just fine.

If anyone could help me, I would be very glad. In fact, I would be so glad that I will send you a reward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom