[NVIDIA] NVidia driver white screen and crash soon after boot on Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm currently using this graphics card: Asus STRIX-GTX750TI-DC2OC-4GD5.
    NVidia drivers kept crashing just after boot and automatic user login making Windows 10 unusable.
    I believe I was using the 368.22 drivers from the 23rd of May 2016 when this started happening.

Switching to use the built-in Intel GPU made things somewhat better as it would take longer for Windows to crash giving me enough time to attempt a few things.
    No matter how many times I uninstalled NVidia drivers through Windows settings, Windows kept re-installing them, showing other versions at times.
    Downgraded to earlier NVidia drivers from end of March, same issue.

Now I switched to Intel GPU again and using Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller I could eventually get rid of the faulty NVidia drivers.
    The system appears to be stable again for now.

I have not yet tried putting back NVidia drivers and switch back my HDMI to that card.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, it's possibly something gone wrong with drivers or hardware failure somehow.

Otherwise GTX 750 ti is still the best you can get for your HTPC. Low power, low temp, low price, even low profile if needed and great performance.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What's the advantage of an additional graphics card vs using the in-built Intel GPU on a HTPC - as long a you want to watch TV and movies only?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    as long a you want to watch TV and movies only

You said it all!

I my living room I have one box below my TV instead of:
    • Sky receiver
    • TNTSAT receiver
    • XBox/PlayStation (That's were you need GPU power, when you want to play AAA games )
    • Bluray/DVD player (Though the above can do that too I guess)
    • AV receiver
    On a good day it does all that better and some. On a bad day it's a pretty useless time waster, see first post :)

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But seriously, I simply wanted to avoid misunderstandings by others that a high-end graphics card is required for a better performing HTPC.

Ho yeah, I never intended to imply it's needed. I guess it rips faster and enables nicer AAA games rendering but that's about it.
    I'm actually quite impressed with my Intel HD Graphics 4600 and I'm happy it's there to take over while my NVidia is crapping up.
    One thing though, I had to go download the latest drivers from Intel as the ones available from my motherboard manufacturer (ASUS) were outdated and causing crashes to.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried putting back NVidia drivers same crash as before.
    I went through a fresh Windows 10 install and the problem is gone it seems.
    Looks like my Windows was crapping up really.

Admittedly I changed motherboard, CPU and RAM in January and was surprised Windows 10 survived that in the first place.
    At least it kept me going for 5 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom