Offline Movie support plugin? (1 Viewer)

buzzdalf

July 22, 2005
I've been running meedio for a bit and I love it. The lack of TV though is suddenly a limitation though as I just installed a FusionHDTV5 card.
One of our favorite features of meedio in the house is the way it handles our DVD library. We have frequently viewed DVD's loaded on the hard drive and keep the rest offline. When we want to watch a DVD, we go into the Movie screen and pick the movie. If it's on the hard drive it takes off and plays, if it's not I set it up so it asks the user to insert the DVD. When we get a new movie, I log it in DVD Profiler, run an export and then the import scheduler in meedio grabs it and the library is updated. It all works very slick.

I've started playing with media portal now so we can get TV integrated in as well. I like a lot of the features in media portal. I am thinking of replacing meedio with it, but I can't figure out how to do what we do in meedio for movies.
Is there a plugin out there to get both online and offline movies to work in media portal?
Something like the My Movies plugin for MCE maybe?

loki429

March 6, 2006
I'm looking to do a similar thing with "offline" movies (divx) stored on CD's and DVD's.
I would like to be able to view my movie library, with full details from a lookup such as IMDB, select the movie I want to watch, then be prompted to insert the disc as required.

How can I do this?

There appears to be some stand-alone database applications that will do this, however I don't want to switch programs all the time. I want to use one program (MediaPortal) for tv, music, videos etc.

thanks

ItzMeJoey

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
loki429 said:
I'm looking to do a similar thing with "offline" movies (divx) stored on CD's and DVD's.
I would like to be able to view my movie library, with full details from a lookup such as IMDB, select the movie I want to watch, then be prompted to insert the disc as required.

How can I do this?

There appears to be some stand-alone database applications that will do this, however I don't want to switch programs all the time. I want to use one program (MediaPortal) for tv, music, videos etc.

thanks
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a ton of movies (XviD/DivX) stored offline on DVD, and I would love it if there was some way to have MP prompt me to insert the appropriate disc number when I select the movie in My Videos.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
That would be nice.
Once my FTP drive fills up I'll have to just use the original DVDs (which I'd like to put in storage) or do something like this.
Too bad the ftp function isn't working.

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
June 17, 2004
Crailsheim
why don't you simply use the MP video database? I insert a dvd, hit F3 on the disc and download information from imdb or ofdb (Germany). I can then tell the video database which Disc Number it is in my collection and there we go. When I change the view of the MP Database to "Title", it's all there nicely in order. If I select one movie then and hit ok, MP prompts me for Disc No XX

Now, that's what you wanted, isn't it? I have around 200 movies in my database now. WAF is exceptional good.

J

ItzMeJoey

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
johnbobjamesson said:
why don't you simply use the MP video database? I insert a dvd, hit F3 on the disc and download information from imdb or ofdb (Germany). I can then tell the video database which Disc Number it is in my collection and there we go. When I change the view of the MP Database to "Title", it's all there nicely in order. If I select one movie then and hit ok, MP prompts me for Disc No XX

Now, that's what you wanted, isn't it? I have around 200 movies in my database now. WAF is exceptional good.

J
Ok, I think I'm officially confused. I have added all the DivX/XviD/etc. movies on my hard drive to the database through the Configuration program. If I have the program scan a DVD, it adds the files to the database, but I don't see anywhere to specify that it's an "offline" movie, or what disc number it is. And when I go to play it, MP just hangs unless I have the right disc in the DVD drive. Also, when you say hit F3 to look up the info in IMDB, I'm assuming you mean from within MP itself, and not the Configuration program -- if the disc is not a true DVD, and just a collection of avi files, how do I even access the disc from within MP to add the titles?

Thanks for all your help,
Joey

ItzMeJoey

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Ok, nevermind, I played with it some and figured it out :)

I had to add the files from the DVD through Configuration.exe, and then go into MP My Videos, select IMDB on the movie, and specify the disc number. It just seems very counterintuitive. The config GUI should prompt me for the disc number, or even better, automatically import the number of the disc, provided its label is in a predictable format. As far as I can tell, there's no way to even specify in the GUI what the disc number is. Anyway, thanks for your help...I'd never have bothered to try and look at it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom