[no Bug] On screen keyboard not working in 1.2 Beta? (1 Viewer)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 Beta
    MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
    Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 + patched

Using Advent 9517 laptop.

When I bring up the on-screen keyboard I can't use the [real] keyboard to enter values. '1,2,3' comes up 'adg'. ('adg' does too, but shift '123' comes up as '!"£' correctly - odd!)

This is my dev pc so it doesn't have an IR remote or anything else - in fact it runs as a client (because I'm no way clever enough to develop anything TV/Video/Radio related).

Haven't tried it on my main MP server - I'd get killed if I upgraded this to a beta version.

(Am I supposed to only be able to select BUGS - Confirm as a message topic prefix?)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Since 1.2.0 beta, virtual keyboard defaults to SMS keyboard. You can press the "Standard" key to switch to the regular virtual keyboard.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    (Am I supposed to only be able to select BUGS - Confirm as a message topic prefix?)

Yes. The other thread status'es are updated by the team, so we know if things are "true bugs", fixed, or whatever. I mark this thread as No bug, although we may have a usability issue here.

There are a couple of minor issues with the virtual keyboard as you can see in mantis for the next release. What you see is "intended behavior", as explained by arion_p.

thlucas

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the same issue, and understand you can press the "Standard" button to get around it.

My question is - is there a way to programatically set "Standard" as the default? Or should I avoid this, and if so why? Part of my Google Calendars plugin is to enter event start / end dates and times, so this "by design" behavior will be misunderstood by users of the plugin. I'm sure I will get a constant stream of questions / bug reports that the keyboard does not work properly - just trying to avoid that if I can. :)

Thanks - TL

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Obviously I'm too old....

... I don't do SMS texting.

Fairly certain my thumbs would drop off :D

Thank goodness my phone has swype on it do I don't have to bother.

If there isn't a select option I might have to hack the sources!

Silly how trivial changes can be so 'big' isn't it.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Remember that the SMS / Standard option here is configuring what the numeric buttons do, it is not controlling the whole keyboard.

If you select a key on the virtual keyboard with the cursor and press ok it acts as if pressing that key. If you type with a keyboard then most keys work directly.

The only difference between the two modes is what the numeric keys do. The last used setting should be stored when you close MP so if you always want to have the keyboard in standard input mode just change it once and leave it

This is a pain when you enter a pin / password as what is being typed is hidden from you.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Shouldn't all keys except the numbers work normal? Yesterday I found out that typing "i" did not work. Are some key grabbed directly (maybe from plugins)? I did not pursue this, but I would like to be able to use a normal keyboard if it is there.

Another thing: Wouldn't it be better mapping REMOTE_0 - REMOTE_9 to the SMS Input instead of the "normal" keys?

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Another thing: Wouldn't it be better mapping REMOTE_0 - REMOTE_9 to the SMS Input instead of the "normal" keys?

Some remotes send "normal" keystrokes. You are right that its weird to have SMS input when typing on regular/physical keyboard, but since we cant always tell the difference...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Shouldn't all keys except the numbers work normal? Yesterday I found out that typing "i" did not work. Are some key grabbed directly (maybe from plugins)? I did not pursue this, but I would like to be able to use a normal keyboard if it is there.
    Just set the keyboard to standard then and be done with it :)

I just checked on this dev laptop and all keys worked fine in both SMS and Standard modes. Only the 0-9 keys differed.

As above though we can't map to remote actions as some remote emulate keyboards (eg some people will have set their harmony remotes up this way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom