Onboard video (1 Viewer)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
Ok... here goes.

The NVidia chipset supports shader model 3. If you want to play games this may be an advantage. However, if you want to do that you are far better off with a card. My $65 refurb Sapphire Radeon X1300 just turned in a 3D benchmark over 3x what onboard video will do after I put heatsinks on the RAM chips on the back side of the board. But the 6100/6150/200 chipsets are fast enough you shouldn't see a difference in MediaPortal.

Neither of my ATi systems use the ATi south bridge so they don't suffer USB performance issues. BTW, most people won't notice a huge difference anyway. They use the ULI M1573 southbridge and have onboard Hi-def audio. I consider that an advantage for a HTPC. The newer audio requires less CPU and provides better quality sound.

Both chipsets overclock well but you may have to resort to using clockgen to do it if the bios doesn't support it. My Tul (200P based ATX board with no graphics) and my friend's 6100 based system both have the same RAM, a 2600+ 754 CPU and are both overclocked to 3300+ levels. Neither had bios overclocking but my Jetway does.

3D Benchmarks seem to favor my ATi Jetway with sideport video RAM by over 600 '03 3D marks vs the 6100 in my tests but it has a 939 CPU so part of that comes from it. The 6150 should be a little closer but from the benchmarks I've seen it would require overclocking to the max to reach the same level as the Jetway. I haven't benched my friend's new 754 version of the Jetway board without sideport video RAM yet. He hasn't purchased a hard drive yet... later this week perhaps.

To confuse matters worse, VIA has a DirectX 9 chipset with shader model 3 that has probably already hit the OEM market. I'd expect some boards to be out next quarter. It should also work well with MediaPortal.

All these chips support hardware video playback but I'm really not sure which is better since they are stripped down versions of what's on the graphics cards. I wouldn't count on this generation working for HDTV playback but I may be wrong. So far H264 support is limited to the latest graphics cards from ATi and NVidia but they have talked like they may extend it to older models. Since this is currently done with the GPU instead of dedicated hardware it is possible we'll see support for the onboard video... but with the limited number of pipelines I wouldn't expect much. As it is H264 playback resolution is limited on lower end graphics cards so an integrated GPU isn't ever going to handle more than lo-res H264 video in this generation. Possibly not even for a couple chipset generations unless they add dedicated hardware.

Really, the video probably won't be the deciding factor. I would say other features like Hi-def audio, TV outputs, SATA ports, PCI/PCIx slot arrangment (important if your case uses riser boards) will make more of a difference. Price may be a bigger factor.

I think the 6100 based ASRock was on sale and why I suggested my friend buy it for his girlfriend over a cheaper DX8 based VIA board. Less than $10 difference... why not get the better graphics?
I suggested the the Jetway 754 board for his personal machine because he's a music freak and it has hi-def audio. SVideo output was also a factor.
I bought my 939 Jetway for $50 as a refurb after building a machine based on that board model for a friend and another one for work.
My Tul was on sale and I think it still sells for $45 new. I just purchased a refurbished one today for $30 from Newegg.com. I have no idea where that's going yet but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
NorthernJohn said:
I didn't get a software dvd player on the mboard disc therefore don't have any ATi dvd codecs available. But I have noticed there are some on the ATi support site. Are you suggesting I install these and configure MP to use them?
They should include support for the hardware video playback and reduce the risk of dropping frames... there are other factors that can cause that though.

BTW: I only suffer problems when viewing DVD through MP. PowerDVD doesn't give me any issues. But using PowerDVD reduces the WAF immensley :roll:
I'll mention WAF the next time someone asks me why I'm not married yet. I liked pleanty of women I've dated but I just couldn't accept the idea of them being my wife! LOL

There are some settings to check but you can try those once you get the other stuff tested.

:arrow: When I mentioned 'opening wallet' I was referring to buying a new graphics card rather than using the onboard. If I can get the onboard working as desired then I can spend my money on other things. :)
That's always a good thing!

sloty32

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

and one more thread to ask my question.

I get a very wierd looking MP with my MSI RS482 with ATIExpress200 onboard, when i switch from Homescreen to TV, or play a video.

I use Powerstrip and a RGB cable to connect my TV. When i switch to TV or view a video, the text is somehwat messed uo, hardly to read, and it looks like a bad resolution. But on VNC it all looks fine.

Anyone?

edit: if i uncheck the "use exclusice directx mode" mp stays clear in tv and video play, but i get tearing. so it has something to do with directx?

thnx
    sloty

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Since about CATALYST 6.2 ATI drivers have had severe problems with some chipsets and the Exclusive directX mode.

You can try choosing a refresh rate that is a half multiples of your broadcast standard ie 50, 75 and 100 for PAL and 60, 75 and 90 for NTSC.

Also enable vsync .

Disable the Exclusive direct x mode if this is causing smeering problems.

snewman

Portal Member
    January 30, 2006
    Australia
    To throw in my two cents:

I've built a HTPC around the Asus 430/6150 motherboard, and it works great except for HD DVB-T broadcasts (MPEG-2).

In my opinion (after a lot of fiddling about) this onboard video is just not quite up to HD. I know the nVidia website shows that the 6150 supports some of the HD features of PureVideo, but in practice it just seems to struggle to keep up.

Maybe the MSI motherboard will perform a little better than the ASUS (it also has a better name if you look at the Anandtech forum) but I'm just not sure it can cut it.

If you're not fussed about HD then in all other respects the motherboard is great - I've never had any system hangs or blue screens in nearly 12 months of use, and it stays on for days or even weeks at a time.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    I think the problem isn't HDTV so much as VMR9. On board video may work fine for HDTV with software that doesn't use VMR9.
    I really wish VMR9 wasn't a requirement for Media Portal but I guess that's not up to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom