Options for additional channels - i.e. other than freeview/freesat. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Although I love my mediaportal setup, I do sometimes wish that I had the option of a few extra "paid for" channels. There are a few cracking channels on freeview and freesat, though there are also a lot of really cack ones.

I got rid of Sky years ago and though I do not miss the poor hardware, I do miss some of the channels I used to get. If Sky got wise to things and let me buy a sky CAM for my computer I would certainly pay a subscription to them, but I know that this something that they have previously said that they would never allow.

I was just wondering what other people have. Do you have a Sky Box as well as a MP setup?

Are there potentially any other possibilities for me to legally get any additional channels on my setup? E.g. can this be done with say, cable TV?

Thanks

Alex

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Some people have sky channels working in MP. we do not support MDAPI but if you search the internet you will find info...

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    When you say that you do not support MDAPI - do you mean that it is not morally supported on here or technically? I am really confused as to what it is. I have tried to look around on the net and I cannot even seems to find out whether it is hardware, software or both.

I have even found a rather complicated thread on another forum that states that it is completely legal - is this true?

Btw, I completely understand if you are unable to discuss this any further.

Thanks

Alex.

Porky, good call on the Topup TV - I had completely forgotten about that. It does seem to be my only other option, but it is so expensive for what you get. Is this something you ever considered?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    No... never felt the need now. We got rid Sky about 2.5 yrs ago. We found that we were just watching the FTA channels with the exception of the OH who watched TCM a lot. This was covered by Freesat and the various movie channels available.

I now just search the "Movie" genre and set to record anything that 'er indoors may find interesting. We have over 700 films and about 130 TV Series now recorded.... probably more stuff on disk than we would watch in years, but it now gives her some choice - and allied to Online Videos and the extensive 4OD collection she cannot say "there's just nothing to watch". As she usually watches TV in bed and uses the SleepControl plugin, any movies she watches get shutdown halfway through as she falls asleep. :rolleyes:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    We had Sky+HD until a few weeks ago (n), despite the fact it crashed at least once a day, wife recoreded exactly the same chaneels\shows that I did with MP, then would come in with complaints that it did not skip ADVERTS lol.

We had the package that included Skyone + HD channels, must have used that at least 6 times in as many months, another one of the comments from she who must be obeyed was, why does yours look better, if only she could use a MCE remote, especially after £4000 of laser vision correction ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    When you say that you do not support MDAPI - do you mean that it is not morally supported on here or technically? I am really confused as to what it is. I have tried to look around on the net and I cannot even seems to find out whether it is hardware, software or both.?
    MDAPI is software and does technically work with MP but we do not not allow discussion of how to set it up or support people using it. Try AVForums.com

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    HI there - point taken about MDAPI.

Having considered it further I have to agree that when it actually comes down to it, when you factor in the fact that you can easily record masses more than you can watch with freesat and freeview for free, it just does not make sense to pay for more channels that ultimately cannot find the time to watch.

As Paranoid says, the Sky hardware is pretty shoddy. My brother has the full Sky HD setup and he seems to be getting a replacement every so often as they keep breaking.

Well done, you have convinced me that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side (in fact it probably resmbles straw, given the recent droughts we are having) and that I should be happy with the massive benefits of MP over anuthing else.

Many thanks for that.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom