Out of sync and poor performance (1 Viewer)

deviruchi

Portal Member
July 10, 2006
I have the following PC set up:

Athlon 2800+
512Mb RAM
Asus 64Mb V9520-X (w/DVI)
XP Pro

Just installed MediaPortal 0.2 on a pretty much blank PC (latest Nvidia drivers including the GART driver).
directx 9

I tried to play a HD (720p) .mov and MP just sat there, so I assume there's no support for QT. No worries.
So I downloaded an HD sample from microsoft.com and the exact same thing happened.

When I finally did get it playing (in media player classic) the sound and video were completely out of sync (the sound trailed by about 30 seconds).
QT also seemed to SERIOUSLY struggle with the .mov I downloaded from apple.com. Dropping 2 or 3 seconds of movie and generally being unwatchable.

Is there something I'm missing? :p

deviruchi

Portal Member
July 10, 2006
Yup, apologies for not being more specific about directx.
It's 9.0c and I do have the latest SP.

I downloaded kazaa mga codec pack (MPC and QT alternative bundled with this), so I really can't think what the problem is.

Perhaps I was just unlucky and got myself a poor set of videos.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I downloaded kazaa mga codec pack (MPC and QT alternative bundled with this), so I really can't think what the problem is.

Well the problem might be there. Codec packs are best avoided when possible. Get rid of it and install just the codecs you need.

deviruchi

Portal Member
    July 10, 2006
    I will double check that just to make sure.
    Although I was unable to play a sample .mov from the apple HD trailers site on a bare system. (After the OS and driver install, I installed QT and then went to the site).

I'm tempted to just flatten the system and do a few benchmarks in case there's an obvious bottleneck.

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Even on my P4 2.8Ghz I cant playback QT HD material back smoothly. IMHO its a crap format, not exactly sure what they did to it considering this box can do HD mpeg2 easily (<40%).

deviruchi

Portal Member
    July 10, 2006
    Hmm, I'm also starting to worry about my Asus V9520, with only 64Mb, it might not be up to the job.

Do you have any suggestions for an HD .mpg trailer or something I can grab off the web to test?

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    the video card is the issue.
    you need 10GB/s of memory bandwidth to play flawless HDTV

The V9520-x is an AGP card which is the first restriction...AGP is old.

The specs of the card are 64bit bus, 200MHz DDR ram

To work out the bandwidth muliply these numbers together, then by 2 for DDR then divide by 8000. this gives Gigabytes per second...you need something very close or over 10 for this to work

The V9520 is only 3.2GB/s
    You will need to upgrade the card

deviruchi

Portal Member
    July 10, 2006
    Thats a shame since I just bought the card as new :p
    Ah well, it's all a learning curve.

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at some cheap cards that are up to it. Really have spent too much on this now, so I'm looking for a cheap fix :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom