Over Air ATSC Tuning (and FM Radio) (1 Viewer)

BrunoB

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 (default)
Windows Version: XP SP2 maybe SP3 - can't remember - sorry
CPU Type: 2.66MHz Dual CPU
HDD: 2x160G SATA
Memory: 1 Gig
Motherboard:
Video Card: EVGA
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge 2250 (Dual Digital and Dual Analog Tuners and FM Radio Tuner)
1. TV Card Type: PCIe
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Over Air Antenna
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA Cable

Hi, sorry I'm a little weak on the specs - I can backfill if necessary (at work right now).

I remember reading about this issue in other posts I can't seem to find right now.

I've been using MP for 3 to 4 years now. I've always had a local Cable company's analog feed going into Hauppauge cards and it has always worked flawlessly. Until I recently upgraded MP my radio even worked perfectly.

So there are 2 issues - which may be related (depending on how MP is written).

When I recently got rid of my cable and changed to an antenna, I rescanned the channels (using the antenna selection). After doing twice, since it didn't get them all the first time, I was sure I had captured all the tv channels (approx 30 or so, half digital and 12 in HD). This number was the same as I could get with a small digital converter box I bought as a backup.

Here's the issue. I'm not certain about the tuning on the analog channels, but there's something off on the digital tuning. I get 90 to 100% signal strength and quality on most channels using the converter box. Through my tuner card, I'm lucky if I get 10-20% (on the ones I get 100%). This makes for unwatchable digital tv.

I had read on previous posts that there is an issue with MP's ATSC tuning. I'm thinking this is related. Are there any developments in this area or ways I can offer to help by providing data, video, etc?

I'm also very disappointed that since upgrading to a newer version of MP, I've lost the ability to use the FM radio. Where I could scan and get dozens of stations before (ver 0.2.3 ish), now I can only get 3 or 4 stations - even when I manually program the stations to the known frequencies, etc. I'm offering any way I can help here too.

It's just unfortunate that in my case (the way I use MP), upgrading has lead to an overall decrease in product reliability and function. I'd like to help fix this.

Any insight into recent developments or fixes, or ways I can help are welcome.

By the way. Anyone looking for an EPG for over the air tv in the Greater Toronto Area, use the Youngstown, NY terrestrial (Antenna) listing in MC2XML. It has all the channels you get in the GTA. (digital and analog / Canada and US)

Bruno
Canada

BrunoB

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Ok, so I feel a little stupid having missed the BIG RED STICKY posts. I'll read those this weekend.

Something else I noticed ref my ATSC tuning being wonky is that at first, the tuning is ok (except the signal str is still 0-20%).

BUT....

After a couple of minutes, the tuning goes out, pixelating and degrading over time to the point of losing the signal. Now, if I go tot he main menu and stop the tv (so small window). Then go back to the same channel in My TV - it works again for a couple minutes....

Is the tuning with the carrier signal ever so slightly off, becoming further out of phase a time goes on? That seems to be how it's behaving.

I'll try this weekend to see if it comes back after some time (representing the carrier signal coming back into phase with what the software is expecting). Not sure if this will work, but might be as simple as fine tuning the frequency of the carrier signal...?

Bruno

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'd ask you to fill in your MySystem in your user cp so we can know your configuration. Speaking ignorantly, is there a difference in the Canadian station configuration? I know the default values in MP are fine for us in the US on ATSC and there are adjustments you can make in the TV-Server section. I'm not advocating this but simply letting you know. I too had been running 0.2.3 on a really old system and 1.0.2 on my last one... I got to where I liked how on 1.0.2 I selected the server/client installation whereby a TVService runs at the system level controlling the tuners and recording your scheduled recordings... no longer do you have MP running minimized in the system tray all the time!

I'd read your logs but it sounds like you have a bad splitter, or a really questionable coax cable - try hooking your 'converter' box to the feed you hook up to your 2250 and see if it's still 100% - I'd bet not! I've not had any problem with MP or my tuners seeing a variable quality signal - as with digital it's either on or off!

As you see in My System, I have the 1600 and it works great! In fact, all my tuners do fine although the hauppauge driver doesn't give both signal quality and signal strength to MP - just one (and I can't recall which). The AVerMedia Duet is a bargain - 2 ATSC tuners on a PCI-e X1 slot and excellent performance! I'm even using my old ATi HDTV-Wonder and it's doing a bang-up job as well!

Sounds like your OTA antenna signal strength is questionable... look into that and let us know!

If you'd like a more critical review, use the RC4 MediaPortal Debug tool to capture your tv.log when you do a rescan of the ATSC letting us know which stations you get, got and didn't get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom