Ongoing Overbuilt HTPC system (1 Viewer)

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yeah.. right.. 3000 DVD's :eek:

It would take me about 20 years to see them all :D

But seriously, Isnt reliability not more a software issue then a hardware issue these days? Looking at myself, I allways poke around in my system trying to make it faster or better.. Many times resulting in sometimes days of terror screwing things up.. which before it worked perfectly (I have it right now with the TV server, worked fine before, but since I tried to run a client, it isnt as it was before).

Also looking at my hardware, at least it looks all very well made, all IC's straight, all capasiters neatly arranged clean and straight , not too much solder, cardslots not too flimsy etc.

I have my system for a year now, and I also think I can use it for at least another 5 years, maybe upgrading along the way with a quad core processor or something. I used my Pentium based Abit BE6 box for about 10 years! started with PI 96Mhz and windows 98 on a 10Gb HDD and ended with PIII 800Mhz with windows XP SPII 200Gb HDD.. and it runned fine! I have used it for years to download and burn VCD's and divx movies and later on I even downloaded complete DVD's with it.

So I agree with you, you are ready for the far future, so not many upgrades needed probably. I think in this respect we have the same filosophy only my budget is a little smaller then yours: At the moment you buy something new.. buy the best there is for your budget!

Lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom