Ongoing Overscan Compensation Confusion, Please help, TIA!! (1 Viewer)

jrbowie

Portal Member
August 4, 2005
Elgin, IL
Good Morning All,

I have just finished my first HTPC.

I bought a Panasonic 34" Tau Screen HDTV (CRT), got a great deal on it, for my, hopefully, Main Display.

I hooked up the HTPC to it and I have Overscan, not a huge suprise. The suprise has been compensating for the overscan. I have been trying on and off for about 3 weeks and have had no success. I either end up with some bizzare screen resolution that looks terrible or I have to activate Over Scan Shift and have the screen sccot around about 15% in all directions. Yuk!!

Some Specs on my HTPC:
Jetway Micro ATX Motherboard with nVidia Chipset
2 GIGs of 400 Mhz Dual Channel Memory
2- 160 GIG Hard Drives
AMD 64 3000+ Processor
Aopen nVidia 6600 Video Card, 128 Memory, with HDTV Out via DVI using the latest nVidia Driver
MCE2005

I have used both the nVidia Driver and Powerstrip to attempt to adjust for Overscan, Screen Flicker (seems to have something to do with the Scan Rate?), and other little nasties with little or no sucess. I have even had some pretty terrible responses to some of the settings on both my Computer Screen (CRT type as well, used as a back up to get me out of trouble when I really screw up the setings and can't see what the heck is going on on my HDTV) and on the Panasonic HDTV. I am assuming that the more negative experiences are due to settings that either screen just can't handle.

I have done numerous Google Searches for infomation on Overscan and Powerstrip and am just not getting it. I'm no Rocket Scientist, but I'm not a total Bone Head either.

Is there some help out there that I have missed that might get me headed in the right direction?

Am I cursed to just keep trying a hit or miss settings drugery that may or may not accomplish a decent picture?

Any suggestions other than buying a new Display would be appreciate.

By the way, the Panasonic really does have a great picture when it gets a good signal, it would be a crying shame if my only option would be to dump it for something else. I have not been impressed with Plasmas or LCDs, considering their price to screen size. Lets face it, CRTs still have the best Blacks, hence the best picture. My system is in a smallish room that 34" is perfect for.

Thank you for your time and expertise in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom