Tools and other software partition imaging software ? (1 Viewer)

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello,

I have just one HDD in my single seat HTPC, with the OS and MP on the C partition, and all the media files, recordings, etc... on the D partition.

I'd like to keep a copy of my C partition, for a quick restore in case something goes wrong. I am using Vista 32bit (Home Premium).

I have been using Ghost years ago, and I tried Acronis recently, only to find myself with non booting C partitions, that I had to repair with the Vista installation DVD.

What would you recommend ? Is there anything that would boot from a USB memory stick, and allow my to restore from an image placed on the D partition ?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    i use acronis and works great.

use the bootmenu restore or the CDrestore, depends on the occasion.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Err, I use Vista's own backup image, 10 minutes from inserting DVD to fully working\configured clean install, does'nt Home premium have this :confused:

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    My file server with Vista Ultimate has it, but Home Premium has a stripped down version. Anyway, I need to make an image of C:\ that I place on D:\ (same drive, other partition), and the Vista Backup and Restore utility doesn't offer that option.

I am downloading the Acronis 2009 15-day trial, I had been using an old version before that.

I also noticed on my file server that I had downloaded Macrium's Reflect free version, that seems to do all this, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe a good opportunity now. It has the option of creating a boot CD or a boot USB stick :D

Lorenzo

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I use Acronis software. Never had problem with it. Even Raid0 drives were possible to mirror from a bootable CD.

ps: Shaun is coool lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom