Passive video card selection: PureVideo / Avivo (1 Viewer)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
Brijn said:
Looking at the review that Tech Geek posted I noticed the cables that come with the card. I obviously want to connect my HDTV with HD resolution. My TV (a Toshiba 27HL85) has two ports that the manual lists as HDTV capable: HDMI (used by the DVD player, Sony DVP-NS70H) and (what they call) ColorStreamHD (Y Pb Pr)

Now I'm confused, would any of the included cables work? I have the feeling not, S-Video -> RGB cable is not Y Pb Pr??

What type of cable would i need?

Thanx again

It has a ColorStreamHD (Y Pb Pr) adaptor but you will need a cable since it's just intended to provide the connection and the cables are only a few inches long.

You can also buy DVI to HDMI adaptors and they start around $20 I think.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
BTW... I did some benchmarking with 3D Mark 03.

My old Radeon 9600se got around 1700 3D marks on my old Athlon 1300.
My Sempron 2400+ bumped it to around 1760. Both socet A, AGP 8x

My integrated ATi 200 graphics gets 1700 on a 3500+ and some tweaking. Socket 939

My X1300 on a Sempron 2600+ socket 754, not properly timed RAM (slower) no overclock or anything... over 3500. And I only observed some jerks in the motion a couple places.

I haven't benchmarked with 05 yet but the demo ran pretty well. 06 is a CPU hog for sure and higher res so a section carried over from 05 to 06 ran significantly slower. I think it got around 800 3D marks on 06.

I think 06 is too dependant on the CPU to be accurate unless comparing different cards in the same system.

What's important about this is that the bottom of the line X1300 is faster than the top of the time a few years ago and it delivers better image quality, better video playback... better everything!

Once ATi can go to a smaller die process maybe they can ramp up the passively cooled chip speeds to X1300 PRO levels. But that might be a while.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is there any benchmarking which would help HTPC users? Like video related bechmarking? It seems most benchmarking tools were developed for gamers.

Mike

Brijn

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    North vancouver, Canada
    Tech Geek said:
    It has a ColorStreamHD (Y Pb Pr) adaptor but you will need a cable since it's just intended to provide the connection and the cables are only a few inches long.

You can also buy DVI to HDMI adaptors and they start around $20 I think.

Ahhh, the RBG is really Y Pb Pr, then there is no problem at all.. Good to know

Thanx again for all you replies.. Hopefully i'll be building my system soon :)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Brijn said:
    Ahhh, the RBG is really Y Pb Pr, then there is no problem at all.. Good to know

Actually, it plugs into the SVideo connector. So does the composite adaptor. I think it has the ability to detect which is plugged in so that it outputs the proper signals.

I have seen cables that plug into an RGB connector. They only work on cards designed to do that and good luck finding that info anywhere.
    EBay is a cheap source of stuff like that.

Thanx again for all you replies.. Hopefully i'll be building my system soon :)

No problem. Good luck with your build!

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    mzemina said:
    Is there any benchmarking which would help HTPC users? Like video related bechmarking? It seems most benchmarking tools were developed for gamers.

Mike

There are no benchmarks that I'm aware of for HTPC performance.

If you look at the NVidia vs ATi benchmarks in the article from the first post you'll see everything was done pretty much with sample videos and by logging CPU activity.

The sample videos would provide the basis for such a comparison and all you'd need is to score each section of the test and provide scores for each type of video and a final overall score.

Just remember that the low end cards with Avivo should be faster than the high end cards without it when it comes to Video. Same type of thing for the NVidia technology. These features are in addition to the 3D circuit and low or high end 3D doesn't matter if the card has it.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Just an FYI here. I'm in the process of trying to get HDTV to work on my X1300. Microsoft says a card with a memory bandwidth of 10GB/sec is required. The passively cooled card may not have them memory bandwidth to support it. The faster PRO versions of the X1300 have 16MB/sec so they or any of the other higher end Avivo cards are sure to work.

I think Microsoft gave themselves pleanty of room for error with that number and I'm going to do some tests to see if that is the case. If not, HDTV playback will be bad with this card.
    I can tell you that I have no problems with WatchHDTV or just playing back my recording of the Superbowl broadcast in 1080i so I think it will work unless VMR9 is just too much of a pig.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Well, after much testing, tweaking, rebooting and reading I found that the passively cooled Sapphire X1300 card of mine can be overclocked to handle the required bandwidth Microsoft suggests for HDTV. It requires the latest beta of ATi Tool. (V.25 beta 13)
    The card *is* 128bit. The older tools identified it as 64.
    Setting the memory speed to about 325 should be enough for 10MB/s bandwidth.

325 * 2 * 128 / 8000 = 10.48MB/sec

What amount of overclocking the graphics core will require I'm not sure yet since I don't have an HDTV card anymore and it will be a month or so before I have time to try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom