[Rejected] patch for allowing to have a shared DVD drive (1 Viewer)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!

I've only a DVD drive in my TV Server. I also would like to see unencrypted DVDs on my clients. As MP checks wether a drive is a CD / DVD drive this does not work. My patch removes this check so it is possible to have a network shared CD/DVD drive.

At the moment i only remove the check completely another idea is to check wether it is a CD / DVD or a network share...

What do you think about it?

Patch is based on MP 1.0.2.

Stefan

Attachments

• dvdhandler.patch
      30.6 KB

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am sorry, but this seems like a hack to me in its current shape.
    But i would like to see one of our developers to take a look as well and comment on this. :)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mhm another idea - how to make it usable? I think there are a lot of people who want to share a DVD drive or something else...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    mhm another idea - how to make it usable? I think there are a lot of people who want to share a DVD drive or something else...

I cannot quite understand why DVD drive would be wanted to be over a network. Not everyone have wife that is willing to flip the new disk into DVD drive at the server room :)

If someone needs to share DVD content over the network he/she should use DVD images or copy the DVD content to the hard drive.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mhm not everyone has the server in the basemen. Ii've a Blueray / DVD drive in the living room - this PC also acts as the server with WOL and Powerscheduler. Also blue ray drives are not that cheap that i want to buy one for every room. Now i share this drive. If i want to watch a DVD in the bedroom i don't want to copy it's content to the HD - which takes some time and not everyone knows how to do that. I can simply watch the DVD over the network.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For such scenarios you shouldn't need to hack all the involved software - just do it right :)

I'd propose to connect the DVD drive as iSCSI target. In case of old XP machines there's Starwind's free edition which is working nicely.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    rtv
    great idea haven't thought about that. But is it possible to connect multiple clients via iscsi to one target? I don't mean that they use the DVD at the same time - but they're connected at the same time.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @rtv
    great idea haven't thought about that. But is it possible to connect multiple clients via iscsi to one target? I don't mean that they use the DVD at the same time - but they're connected at the same time.

Just try it :)

In theory iSCSI should support sharing targets. Most scenarios however work the "other way" - a target providing several LUNs or the target is accessed by Multipath IO.
    There could be problems with the "state" of targets (e.g. if a drive is shared among two initiators and system A "ejects" the volume - what will system B see as the filesystem will be marked unmounted then).

I currently lack a 3rd machine to try but I guess it will work nicely. At least I could successfully test to use my drive "native" on the host machine and remote via iSCSI.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Never thought of iSCSI for this purpose, but it looks cool! Is it realistic to play a BluRay movie on a non-wired network? Would pre-N suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom