[Rejected] Patch for reworked non-linear stretch and super-stretch (1 Viewer)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's great.

Have you thought about user defineable maximun % of stretch and maximun % of crop?

The idea being to try and utilise the whole screen as possible without too much distortion (stretch) and pixel loss (crop).

The logic is as follows.
    1. If aspect ratio (AR) = screen ratio (SR) then fit video to screen
    2. If AR =/= SR, then stretch up to a maximun %
    3. If stretched AR still =/= SR, then crop up to a maximun %
    4. Fit video (post stretch/crop) width/height to screen (ie. black bars if needed)

NB: Obviously if AR < SR then you will be doing a horizontal stretch / vertical crop and vice versa

Hmm I think that is just how my logic works. We might have the same ideas here. See my above post:

1. - obvious
    2. - stretch = max 10% distortion (which rarely occurs in my experience)
    3. - crop l/r for images up to 130% image "wideness" in relation to screen AR - often used for DVDs
    4. - crop + letterbox for "widenesses" even higher.

One could change the thresholds, but I believe they are OK as they are. I would rather not make them user definable because I do not see any benefit in this, and it also makes operation more complicated.

Greetings
    splatterpop

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    sort of similar, but i would propose a step wise fashion, with all video starting at step 1, then going further in numerical order if needed.

eg.

I have a 1920 x 1080 display and using your example of max stretch = 10% & max crop = 10%

Example 1 - 1280 x 720 video (ie 16:9 video, AR=1.77)
    Step 1: Since AR=SR then just enlarge the video to fit the screen, nil further action

Example 2 - 1920 x 1000 video (ie wider than widescreen video, AR=1.92)
    Step 1: nothing
    Step 2: Since AR<SR video is stretched to 1920 x 1080 (ie x 1.08 or 8% stretch)
    Step 3: new AR = SR, nothing done
    Step 4: since AR=SR, just fit video to screen

Example 2 - 1920 x 800 video (ie super widescreen, AR=2.4)
    Step 2: Since AR > SR, video is stretch to 1920 x 880 (ie x 1.10 or 10% stretch)
    Step 3: new AR > SR, video is cropped to 1728 x 880 (ie x 0.9 or 10% crop)
    Step 4: video is expanded to fullscreen size, you end up with a narrow black bar bottom + top

Example 3 - 400 x 300 video (ie 4:3 broadcast)
    Step 2: Since AR > SR, video is stretched to 440 x 300 (ie x 1.10 or 10% stretch)
    Step 3: Since AR > SR, video is cropped to 440 x 270 (ie x 0.90 or 10% crop)
    Step 4: video is expanded to fullscreen size, you end up with a very very thin black bar on left + right size.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm it looks to me like you will always end with some tradeoff. I think it depends on your taste which is better, less black, less crop or less distortion... but I do not think there is a best of both worlds. Perhaps we would be better off with introducing more zoom modes that follow different strategies, so the viewer can decide.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    :D for help improving MP.

As you may now MP is currently in feature freeze so we have to postpone the validation of your patch.

Cheers,
    Simone

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmm it looks to me like you will always end with some tradeoff. I think it depends on your taste which is better, less black, less crop or less distortion... but I do not think there is a best of both worlds. Perhaps we would be better off with introducing more zoom modes that follow different strategies, so the viewer can decide.

Well the idea of my user customisable steps was the user could fully customise whether they like less black less crop less zoom or a certain combination.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Sorry, but what is not sorted by MP itself is handled with the plugin VideoModeSwitcher (part of 1.2.0) or even better with IFC.

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom