[NVIDIA] pci-e 1x (1 Viewer)

tomvdduin

Portal Member
March 26, 2006
Aalsmeer
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I have a motherboard with only a pci-e x1 slot. until now, I have a ATI 4350 videocard in it, that's linked to my sony wih a hdmi-cable. I've got two major problems:
- unable to use EVR: only got a green screen. VMR-9 works OK, but then I don't have DXVA.
- can't get AC3 and DTS pass-through to work (to my sony 40w4000, that's connected to my logitech speakers via toslink)

Now I understand, the support for DXVA and audio over HDMI on NVidea cards is better then ATI, so I am searching for a NVidea card with PCI-e x1 connector, and HDMI out, but that's impossible to find. I also must mention, I'm using a HFX Micro case that's completely passive cooled via heatpipes.

Does someone have a sollution? the only NVidea card that has a PCI-e x1 connector that I can find is a Club3d 9500GT, but that card doesn't have a direct HDMI connector, so no sound on that. Also the card is somewhat old.

Do you have some suggestions? (See complete specs of my HTPC in my profile)

tomvdduin

Portal Member
March 26, 2006
Aalsmeer
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi Tony,

When watching a TV channel via the build-in DVB-C receiver, I see some channels with AC3 sound. On my receiver, I see something like "Dolby digital", so that's why I figured that audio from a HDMI source can also contain AC3. But now when I ran the Monitor Asset Manager, I indeed saw it only supports LPCM.

So now I only want to know: what's the best graphic card that supports EVR in Win7, allowing me to do DXVA?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't run Win7 myself (I'm using Vista32), but I'd check out the DXVA capabilities of your system with DXVA Checker.

When you run it, the 'Decoder Device' tab lists the DXVA decode capabilities, the 'Processor Device' tab lists the hardware deinterlacing capabilties.

Hit the 'Check Direct Show Decoders...' button and open a video file. It will list out the decoders in the system capable of decoding it and if they support DXVA (in red). Click on a 'DXVAx' entry and select 'Play', then select a renderer (VMR9 for XP, EVR for Vista/Win7) to play it. It should display FPS and CPU usage as it plays.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom