PCI-Express Low Profile Video Card (1 Viewer)

jacton

Portal Member
December 30, 2008
Oklahoma
Home Country
United States of America United States of America

jacton

Portal Member
December 30, 2008
Oklahoma
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
looks like a nice card, but not sure my system can support it. It says it has a minimum requirement of 350w power supply, the SFF I have only has a 180w power supply. I would also like to stay around the $50 range for this, that is going for about $70 right now. Thanks for the input though...

Any other suggestions anyone? Specifically anyone with a Small Form Factor computer, as they provide some limitations.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ....or a fanless ATi HD3450 - not as powerful as the HD4550 and only supports 2 channel HDMI audio, but should be pretty cheap now.

I had one of these in my Vostro before the 9500GT - I replaced it because it wasn't quite up to coping with deinterlacing 1080i MPEG-2 on a 1080p display.

I'd agree with Hoborg that the HD4350/HD4550 is probably the best combination of performance versus low-power - according to ATi they use 25W max (see ATI Radeon™ HD 4550 Graphics Technology - Overview), so it should be OK with your 180w power supply. To be honest, any low-profile card with a passive heatsink has to be low power otherwise it would fry itself.....

One thing to be aware of with fanless (passive) cooled cards is that they can be thicker than one PCIe slot due to the size of the heatsink e.g. my HD3450 uses up 2 slot spaces.

Tony

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm using an ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M which comes with a low profile bracket which was cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom