Play DVD & Movie from Harddisk without directory browsin (1 Viewer)

Mars Warrior

Portal Pro
August 26, 2004
Airy Crater, Mars
Home Country
Since Frodo implemented the recognition of DVDs on harddisk a nice addition would be to be able to PLAY that DVD also, without having to browse for some IFO file, ie MP should recognize that a DVD is selected instead of browsing the directory.

As a second point, I do have lots of XVid/Divx organized in separate directories, meaning those directories only contain the AVI file and the subtitle file. It would be nice if MP would play the movie in this case instead of browsing the directory.

I have implemented and tested both ;)

How do I get those modified files to the developers and having them (the modifications of course, not the developers :shock: ) tested?

I have only modified GUIVideoFiles.cs, although I have seen that the other GUIVideo*.cs files should also be modified to let info, actors etc. also work this way...

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I Like the DVD idea although I'm not too keen on having my AVI files played when I select the folder they are in.
    Hopefully this is be an 'option' setup feature.

DMAN.

Mars Warrior

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2004
    Airy Crater, Mars
    Home Country
    frodo said:
    :oops: :oops: :oops: How could I forget :oops: :oops: :oops:

I Like the DVD idea although I'm not too keen on having my AVI files played when I select the folder they are in.
    Hopefully this is be an 'option' setup feature
    Playing DVDs like this is just like having the DVD on a real DVD: You just hit play instead of finding the IFO file yourself on DVD...

As for the AVI files: this ONLY works if the directory contains a single AVI (actually: any valid movie format) file. So if you have multiple AVIs in a directory, directory browsing will be used. Besides of playing the AVI in this case, the folder image is also replaced (just as it is with DVD's) with the image of the AVI movie.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As for the AVI files: this ONLY works if the directory contains a single AVI (actually: any valid movie format) file.

Well I have single AVI's in some directories and cannot remember all the contents of my directory structure so to have it 'not play' would be beneficial. Also if you have children that use the HTPC having a particular movie like a horror play automatically is not something I would like to happen. Hence the fact it needs to be optional for people who want it.

Besides of playing the AVI in this case, the folder image is also replaced (just as it is with DVD's) with the image of the AVI movie.

Now this I do like! I did ask for that before some many moons ago... especially for music directories that contain albums...

DMAN

A

Anonymous

Hi,

i hope this feature is implemented not only for DVDs. I want to be able to play complete directories containing all albums of an artist or only one of the albums by just clicking PLAY on the directory without creating a playlist for each.

Regards,
    nicx...

gabbe

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2004
    Sweden
    the avi thingy...
    "meaning those directories only contain the AVI file and the subtitle file"

A much better sollution is

"meaning those directories only contain one movie and subtitles"

I have alot of movies that is splitted in 2 avi's

moviename_cd1.avi
    moviename_cd2.avi

good work/gabbe

A

Anonymous

I still think the PLAY button should be utilised when browsing to launch a folder. The launch should then depend on the contents of the folder (like the different suggested actions: Play DVD, AVI..)
    The action of the ENTER (OK on my remote) should not be changed and should make it possible to browse any folder.

The play action could be used in several places when a folder is selected:

Movies
    - Folder contains DVD files. Launch DVD player
    - Folder contains AVI files. Add AVI files to playlist and start playlist

Music
    - Add contents of folder to playlist and start playlist (Is there any way to do this today, i.e. quickly play the contents of a folder (genre/album/artist).

I don't know if using the play action would conflict with the control the small preview window though.

Just my 2c.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    tobennr,
    In the todo.txt is an explanation of what we wanna do,
    No it won't be the play button but we will use a different one (prolly Y)

This will work for movies, pictures and music.

**edit**
    Just saw it ain't in todo.txt.
    We did discuss this on IRC and the plan was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom