[play DVD] show a dialog with the list of available discs to play (1 Viewer)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Started on: 2007-01-04
    last update: 2007-01-09

Developers: DalaNorth, rtv
    in svn since: Revision: 12575 Date: 20:44:05, 08.01.2007 Message: fixed selection of DVD drive

Summary: Show a dialog with inserted VideoDVDs when clicking play DVD.

Description:
    If you now click
    play DVD in movie-screen or

play DVD in Home (or myPlugins)
    MP will start the first DVD, which is found.

Let's say you have more than one drives in your pc or some virtual dvd-drives. In two or more of them is an VideoDVD inserted.
    MP should now show a dialog with a list where you can choose all available VideoDVDs for playing.

MP will start the first DVD, which is found.
    Things to discuss are what about AudioCDs, there could be the same list used like the one for the album-view, or what is with discs containing some movie files.
    Please feel free to comment and add additional ideas.

kind regards
    chefkoch

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I want that too!

Yes, very good idea. I looked into it a bit, and displaying the selection dialog from the "My Movies" section is really a piece of cake. Doing it from the Home or My Plugins is more difficult and requires a special case handling of this particular menu item, which is not recommended... Default menu action is to immediately show the window associated with the selected menu item. A not so nice (graphically, but very simple and nicer programatically) solution is that the selection dialog is full screen for this particular scenario or that the dialog is displayed on a black background. Take a look at the screenshots to see the difference. (Sorry it's in swedish, but I hope you get the idea).

Dialog from My Movies:

Dialog from Home or Plugins with black background:

Fullscreen dialog from Home or Plugins:

What do you think? Are either of the latter two solutions acceptable or should the developers perform the infamous "ugly hack" to handle the special "Play DVD" case?

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi again!

I have just submitted patch 1628548 on SourceForge. This patch uses the solution with the black background. Note that if a DVD has been added to the database while inserted in e.g. drive E:, it will not be recognized when placed in e.g. drive F:. This only means that the thumbnail and movie title won't be displayed in the selection dialog, but rather the standard DVD icon followed by the drive letter and the label of the inserted disc. This is a "bug" in MediaPortal and you can see it already today in My Movies if you browse the files.

(Try adding a DVD to the database while in one drive, then place the DVD in another drive, start MediaPortal, go to My Movies, Change view to Files, Move up in the directory structure until you see all your shares. It won't recognize the recently added movie until you place it in the "right" drive)

I don't know if this patch will be accepted and implemented due to its' shortcomings, but I'm definitely going to use it at home and if you too are interested you can find the patch here

Regards
    DalaNorth

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi dalanorth

thx, for your work i'll test the patch for myself.
    And will give some feedback, later.

To your ideas, yes i also would prefer the dialog with black background. It should be possible to fix this.

:D again

regards
    chefkoch

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    DalaNorth: I really like that feature, too! Would you mind investigating a property like "RemovableFileSource" which would e.g. allow the thumb lookup to be independent on the drive letter as long as it is an removable device?

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I wouldn't mind at all, but I don't know if it is necessary at this point. I have just added another patch (1628644)which will fix the bug i mentioned simply by ignoring drive letter in path if the drive is a CD/DVD drive.

For other removable media (flash drives, USB HDs) I think it would be more comlicated, since I suppose we don't get a cdlabel in the path table of the database in those cases? I guess we could ignore the drive letter in those cases also, but if we did have two flash drives with two different movies both in \VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO, we wouldn't be able to tell them apart (unless we do get some serial from the drives). I'll dig a little deeper, but I think it'll be difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom