Play movies from external hard drive (1 Viewer)

Srge2012

July 7, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post but I have just signed up and it seems that I cannot post anywhere else.

I 'migrated' from Windows Media Center to MediaPortal a couple of weeks ago. At the same time I decided to store all my DVD collection in a brand new Seagate FREEAGENT GOFLEX DESK 3TB. So far so good. I installed MediaPortal and set it up to look for my movies in the new drive. I ripped the movies in their own folder under VIDEO_TS, so it looked something like: N:\Movies\12 Monkeys\VIDEO_TS.

The problem I have is that when I try to play the movie from MediaPortal it freezes. However, if I play the movie using VideoLAN (still from the external Seagate drive), it works. The most bizarre thing is that if I copy the movie to my main hard drive or even another external drive then MediaPortal will play it with no problem.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on? All my drives are NTFS formatted and I'm using Windows 7 32bit.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Sergio

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It seems that you are not alone in your troubles. I'm guessing that the problem is the size of your disk, as 3 TB requires GPT instead of MBR - however it should only affect Windows booting from such a disk. Perhaps the problem is Microsoft's DVD Navigator since both MediaPortal and Media Player is using it and has the same issue. VLC on the other hand uses its own DVD Navigator if I'm not mistaken.

I'd try to install another DVD Navigator to see if it could solve the issue.
    Or try ripping your DVD:s to .ISO format instead. Might work better ;)

Srge2012

July 7, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses. I can see that I'm not the only one... Before seeing your response I read that a solution was to take the hard drive out of its case and connect it directly to a SATA port, so that is what I ended up doing. I first tried MBR and 2 partitions of 1.5TB which worked and then tried 1 single partition of 3TB (2.7TB actually) with GPT which also works and is what I'm currently using.
    Thanks a lot again,
    Sergio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom