Play rather than Enqueue (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hiya's my 2c worth for the my music section, it is IMO not particularly user friendly in its current form.

My biggest gripe, should also be the easiest to fix. There is, it appears, only the ability to enqueue tracks, rather than play. For example in foobar when launching from explorer, i get options to enqueue or play. It is really annoying when I have something playing in MediaPortal, and I want to play something different, I cant just hit play, I have to first stop the current track playing, go into the playlist, clear it, go back to the folder view, then queue up what I want to hear.

Another gripe is it only shows the music as a logical file level view, it would be much nicer to have it scan each of your music directories and present them as one whole.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Hey, I suggest you read the manual.

It is really annoying when I have something playing in MediaPortal, and I want to play something different, I cant just hit play, I have to first stop the current track playing, go into the playlist, clear it, go back to the folder view, then queue up what I want to hear.

Not true.....simply selecting the item you want to "hear" and pressing enter will play it.....regardless of what is currently playing.

Another gripe is it only shows the music as a logical file level view, it would be much nicer to have it scan each of your music directories and present them as one whole.

Also not true, you can select a whole bunch of view beside the logical file lever view. You can sort by Artist, Album, Genre etc.
    Present them as a whole? If you mean that it should display all your files at once, without any sorting whatsoever........Well, then you must have a fairly small music collection, because for people with lots of music this view would be pretty worthless.

Hope that answers your questions

A

Anonymous

Hey inker, thanks for the reply.... I have since discovered the music database function, which seems to meet my requirements for giving me one logical view, so since discovering that functionality, I am very impressed. However...

Inker said:
    Not true.....simply selecting the item you want to "hear" and pressing enter will play it.....regardless of what is currently playing.

I didn't really explain this correctly, I mean to queue entire albums at a time, not tracks. Your correct, clicking enter on a track will play it immediatly, but I would like the same functionality for whole albums, as 99% of my music collection is whole albums, each in its own directory. For example when you are in "Album" view, this could be the default action rather than opening the folder.

Inker said:
    Also not true, you can select a whole bunch of view beside the logical file lever view. You can sort by Artist, Album, Genre etc.
    Present them as a whole? If you mean that it should display all your files at once, without any sorting whatsoever........

Solved, thanks, this what the database does, I just didnt know you had to manually tell the database to scan your music folders, now i can view my entire collection my album, artist, genre, etc, luvly :D

Inker said:
    Well, then you must have a fairly small music collection, because for people with lots of music this view would be pretty worthless.

It would probably bring a tear to your eye if you saw the size of my music collection, I have painstakingly ripped the entire lot into VBR Lame encoded mp3s, lets just say it takes MP a good minute or so to fire up after clicking my music on a pretty fast computer ;) were talking big! don't be insulting the size of me tackle, um woops, i mean the size of my music collection like that :p :twisted:

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I seem to have the opposite problem/request. I would like to add tracks to the playlist while other music is playing. I know I can do this by pressing Y but I'm on a remote and don't really have enough keys to map this function without losing other functionality. Here's my suggestion:

Why not let the user decide the 'enter' function. A simple radio button choice in the music configuration would do:

Play/enque on enter:
    ( ) Enter stops any currently playing music and starts playing the selected item
    (*) Enter allows currently playing music to continue, while appending the selected item to the playlist

This way, we could still let 'play' be 'play' but have 'enter' be 'enque' if that's what we prefer.

maurij

Portal Member
    September 14, 2004
    uk
    Jetboy Said

-- I seem to have the opposite problem/request. I would like to add tracks to the playlist while other music is playing. I know I can do this by pressing Y but I'm on a remote and don't really have enough keys to map this function without losing other functionality. Here's my suggestion:

Why not let the user decide the 'enter' function. A simple radio button choice in the music configuration would do:

Play/enque on enter:
    ( ) Enter stops any currently playing music and starts playing the selected item
    (*) Enter allows currently playing music to continue, while appending the selected item to the playlist

This way, we could still let 'play' be 'play' but have 'enter' be 'enque' if that's what we prefer. --

That's not a bad idea. i would like the option to use enter to enqueue too. This could be an option, winamp style.

mumbler

May 28, 2005
    Meedios method of queing music...

Have you guys ever used Meedio? I used it before finding media portal... and it had what i consider to be the best method of allowing both enqueing and playing music. In the button list of the left, it had a button that you pressed to switch between play mode and playlist mode. When in play mode... it would play whatever song you click. If you were in playlist mode then it would just add the song to the playlist and not interupt the current item. With this method you can do whatever you want... all without leaving the music plugin to make a change.

I started implementing this feature but have yet to finish it. I need to start over also since the project has a lot of new features since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom