playback issues over lan? (2 Viewers)

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Hello,

Since I have returned home from college I have transferred all over my media over to my father's home server. It is a linux run server in the basement and I am not too knowledgeable with servers. I do know that it has samba which allows it to be seen in windows.

Anyways, I have noticed that I get a mediaportal crash pop up from windows, all I do is hide it and everything seems to play fine. I have only noticed this happening since being home which is why I believe that it may have something to do with the playing media from a server in mediaportal. Windows media player will behave properly and on a mac mini with vlc player everything seems fine.

Another question related to servers; is there a way to have windows auto log in to the server when I turn my computer on?

Thanks in advance

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Unless you have Windows Vista Ultimate or Business I don't think there is a way to auto log-in to the server. The only other option is to have the same username (and password) on the Windows computers as on the server.

Personally I run my medianetwork with the username media and no password that way I have access to my server and I don't need a keyboard to log in on the HTPCs..

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi FantaXP7,

please add logs and let us know what the error message says.
    Under WinXP you can add a network share, you should be able to choose a different username and password from those that you chose for your windows account, when creaing it.
    Atleast under WinXP Pro that options exists.

You can use that network share in MediaPortal, which should work just fine, that's what I'm doing.

Kind regards,
    Muldini

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    Hello guys, thanks for the replies!

I am using windows 7 and vista ultimate. In both, the password doesn't stick after a reboot, but it may be best if I just take off the user name and password.

Anyways, here is the error from windows:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: mediaportal.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2.42485
    Problem Signature 03: 4a04b3db
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 48ead7c2
    Problem Signature 07: 3607
    Problem Signature 08: 34
    Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

And I may have done this wrong as I only have done it once in the past, but here is the log from watch dog.
    *Edit* Looked up proper log procedure, followed instructions and uploaded .zip.

I have just recently reinstalled mediaportal from scratch (not saving any settings). I am hoping that the problem I am having may be related to the fact that I no longer use a tv tuner. We shall see what happens.

*Edit* Just did some observing with the freshly installed mediaportal, same results...

Thanks again

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    An update on this

I have disabled the "Enable Importer While In GUI Mode" under the advanced options of movingpictures which has gotten rid of the crash but is a temporary solution for now.

The reason I even looked for such a feature was because of this error in my moving pictures log:

16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\0-9' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\A-E' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\V-Z' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\F-K' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\L-P' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:00 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\Q-U' (Unknown) - Reason: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:20 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\0-9' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:20 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\A-E' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:21 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\V-Z' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:21 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\F-K' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:22 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\L-P' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
    16-Jun-2009 20:15:23 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\HOME4\share4\Movies\Q-U' (Unknown) - Path is now being monitored for changes.

It repeats these two messages of error and starting to watch another 10 or so times. I am not sure if this means that there is an error with movingpictures or something that is wrong with the server's settings.

The problem with my temporary solution is that the only way to make movingpictures import new movies is to open up movingpictures in configuration. Even then it will sometimes freeze.

Can anyone tell me if this is a sign of movingpictures having a bug or if it is something on my server's end?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom