Playback music with 2.1 (video/tv with 5.1) (1 Viewer)

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
Austria Austria
My HTPC is connected via SPDIF to a receiver with a 5.1 speaker system.
TV and video playback is working with 5.1.
With music playback (mp3's) i have following problem:
- If i select "upmix to 5.1" i have 5.1 playback. This is ok, but i don't like it...
- If i deselect "upmix to 5.1" i do not have stereo playback as expected,
sound is coming out from left, right and center speaker(?), subwoofer is silent!?
I have tried bass and dshow player with same results.

How can i realize a 2.1 playback for music files, is that possible???

psykoman

Portal Pro
August 30, 2006
Graz
Home Country
Austria Austria
If deselecting "upmix to 5.1" pure stereo should be the output format, sound should come from left and right speaker. Using the subwoofer for low frequencies should be set in audio drivers or receiver. It is called bass redirection or crossover frequency. I set it in Realtek Audio Headquarter, where I also can specify the frequency which should be redirected to the subwoofer (I use 120Hz, everything below <= 120Hz will be redirected to SW).
Need to add that not every audio driver supports this, on XP I wasn't able to get this feature, it came with drivers for Windows Vista. Hope this helps.

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
Austria Austria
...crossover frequency is set correctly in receiver, as i explained 5.1 playback works correctly with all speakers.
Also playback with other components which are connected to the receiver (like CD player) are working fine in stereo.
I think the problem is on RealtekHD Audio driver side (R2.06) or on MediaPortal bass/dshow player settings?

psykoman

Portal Pro
August 30, 2006
Graz
Home Country
Austria Austria
In Realtek Audio Settings I can change Center/Subwoofer channel (would explain that you hear something from center speaker), and there's also an option called Bass Management which I need to activate that bass is redirected to SW (but my soundsystem is directly connnected to soundcard).

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
Austria Austria
...these settings are not possible to adjust as you described,
and if so, i think this would not be successful because i use SPDIF digital output.

Maybe "DTS Neo" from Realtek HD Audio Driver is the problem!?

With the Realtek driver on Vista it is not possible the deactivate this function :mad:
it is only possible to switch between "Music" and "Movie" Mode.
Has somebody experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom