Playing back shows from network share - copy or buffer plugin? (1 Viewer)

pharaohamps

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I use two PC's to access files from a central server. All are running MP, and the central server is also running the MP TV Server, although the client PC's are not accessing TV streams.

The clients are connected using a 54MBps wireless network, and I get a lot of lag and stuttering on the client PCs when streaming certain types of content from the server. When I use the File Menu (set as destination, pick the file I want, then copy it over) I get very smooth playback.

How about a plugin that will copy files to a dedicated temporary storage location on a local PC before playing them back? In the configuration, a temp directory could be set up on the local machine. The plugin could be set to copy every file from a network share, or files of certain types by extension (.iso, .avi, .mkv, etc.) or to prompt the user. Once the file is copied, MP would then automatically play it from temp storage. The plugin could also check temp storage to see if the file is already there and automatically play the local copy. If the stored local copy is different than the one on the network share, MP would ask which one to use.

I think that even though this means a few extra minutes of waiting before a file is viewed, it would improve things immensely for those of us who are streaming over wireless. In my case, music and certain video files have no issues at all, but other types are almost unwatchable.

I'm not a programmer by any stretch but I'd be happy to help out anyone willing to work on this with me.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom