Please help me (I think I may be an idiot) (1 Viewer)

bane34

Portal Member
February 16, 2007
MediaPortal Version: Newest
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: XP Home (computer is 3 months old)
CPU Type: Pentium, Inspiron I6400
HDD: 120 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: 128 mb
Video Card Driver: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
Sound Card: ?
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Pctv hd pro stick usb
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Divx 6.0 codec
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Analog
TV - HTPC Connection:

Downloaded the latest version of Mediaportal. When I double click on the link on the desktop, nothing happens. When I open the system usage, Mediaportal is using 50% of the CPU's memory. I'm assuming this means it is running but is not coming up. My Dell computer has Mediadirect on it so I don't know if this does not allow mediaportal to run. There was also software that came with the USB TV card which might be a problem as well. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. The software that came with the USB card is not as useful as mediaportal appears to be and I want to be able to use it. Thanks again.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Please attach the log files in the /log subfolder. Only way to figure out what's going on.

bane34

Portal Member
    February 16, 2007
    Let me be clear.

Let me be perfectly clear here, I am one heck of a doctor but am not so good with computers. You will have to explain everything to me as if I have no idea where/what you are talking about. I'm sorry about that but unfortunately it's the truth. Your software looks fantastic and easy to run and I am absolutely convinced that it is something I'm doing, thus the need for help. I don't really know how to attach a log. I realize that makes me a "newbie" and I'm sorry about that but thanks again for the help.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    The log you should attach it's in(if you used default install) "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log" & called MediaPortal.log & Error.log.

Regards
    Roy

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Use the Search function for the word LOG, enable search hidden files and folders in advanced option.

You will be presented with a list with LOG in it, (not to many i hope) look for folder named LOG, open this to see if correct one, You should see Mediaportal.text document inside.

If you right click on this file you should have the option to save\add to mediaportal zip, do this, now drag that zipped file to your desktop from the search window.

Too upload here, change option when replying to advanced, this then displays more choices, Select the + (next to smilies at top row) This will then let you browse and upload the file to your post.

Really would like to know more about your PC, model name\number so we can do a search on its Hardware abilities.

50% cpu is not normal

bane34

Portal Member
    February 16, 2007
    It looks like I have a mediaportal and a teammediaportal folder in the program files folder. I have uninstalled mediaportal on the add/remove programs list. This removed the TeamMediaportal folder but did nothing to the mediaportal folder.

bane34

Portal Member
    February 16, 2007
    There is no log folder that has any extension related to mediaportal. Would I have a log if mediaportal cannot startup?

Also, there are 2 pieces of software that I am afraid might have the potential to keep mediaportal from running. Pinnacle mediacenter came with my usb tv adapter, and my dell computer came preloaded with mediadirect software which I think runs similar to mediacenter on XP.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Uninstall MediaPortal via add/remove in windows Control Panel, delete MediaPortal/Team MediaPortal folder, restart computer & install MediaPortal again.
    Then try to start it, if it doesn't start & you don't have any logs in MediaPortal\log folder, open Control panel -> Admin stuff (dunno remember the English name, on Norwegian system @ moment) & open Event viewer & check if there is any errors for MediaPortal. If there is, mark/copy all text & past it here....

Have you updated everything on Windows Update?

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom