Please Help with Dell Angel USB TV Tuner (1 Viewer)

fox_mcloud11

December 3, 2009
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hello,

I just recently bought a Dell Angel USB TV Tuner, model HJ649. To my great surprise, it came with no software to be installed. I have spent the last 5 hours online trying to find a software that would work with the Tuner. I saw on Lumanate's website that MediaPortal is compatible with the Tuner. I have successfully installed the program and it looks great. However, I have been unable to get the Tuner working with the program.

The program does recognize the Tuner. However, I am unable to see any image. The Tuner has an analog in and a composite in. I have been trying to use the composite in to hook up several things to my computer. However, I have been unnable to do so.

I have tried contacting Dell about this problem but they said that there is no chat or email support for this product, which is just completely ridiculous.:mad:

I was hoping that one of you might be able to help me. I have done everything I possibly could and have gone everywhere I possibly could and I still don't know how to get my TV Tuner working.

What should I do?

Thank you very much! :D

fox_mcloud11

December 3, 2009
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi Geov!

Thanks for the help! However, I'd already found both sites. The Dell manual isn't very helpful; it doesn't have any information, from what I've seen, related to the software. As for the driver, I already have it installed. It comes pre-installed with Vista but I re-installed it anyways. However, I still need the software for it. Thanks for taking the time to look though!

Steve Ab

July 21, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Fox-mcloud11, I know a long time has passed but did you ever manage to get your Dell Angel USB Tuner successfully installed and if so do you recall the steps involved? The analog Angel shows up in my TV Servers but no channels are found so I cannot view the input or find any other installation steps to take.. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thank you, Steve

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Steve :)

If you could take the time to share a little more detail then we may be able to help.

First, what kind of signals are you trying to receive?
    • RF/coax
    • s-video
    • composite
    What is the tuner plugged into?
    • aerial
    • cable feed
    • set top box
    • other (please specify)
    Which version of Windows are you using?
    • XP
    • Vista
    • other (please specify)
    Which if any software have you installed in order to have MediaPortal recognise the tuner?
    • nothing - it just showed up
    • software from Dell (please post a link)
    • other (please specify)
    Finally, please follow this procedure:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the general section.
    3. Ensure log level is set to "debug". If not:
      1. Change to debug.
      2. Go to the manual control section.
      3. Click stop service... then start service.
    4. Perform a full channel scan.
    5. After the scan completes, click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    6. Zip all the files in that folder.
    7. Post/attach the zip file in this thread.
    Thanks,
    mm

Steve Ab

July 21, 2015
    Home Country
    mm,
    Thank you for your prompt response and sorry for my delay.
    1. My tuner is connected to a cable box with composite cables
    2. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium
    3. I have not installed any software. BTW I now use the Dell tuner on a HP laptop.
    4. After the steps you indicated I now see a Channel 8 but it indicates no signal. (In Windows Media Center I can view the picture)
    I have attached the zip file.
    Thank you again.
    Steve

Attachments

• SetupTv.3.zip
      209.8 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Steve

Thanks for the answers. :)

Thank you for your prompt response and sorry for my delay.
    I'm happy to help. That's what we're here for! :)

My tuner is connected to a cable box with composite cables
    Okay, so that means that you should be clicking "add s-video channels" in the scan section instead of "scan for TV channels".
    After you click "add s-video channels", you should see a bunch of channels named like "CVBS#X on Y" or ""S-Video#X on Y" in the TV channels list. One of those should work.

After the steps you indicated I now see a Channel 8 but it indicates no signal. (In Windows Media Center I can view the picture)
    Yeah, I'd delete that channel 8. It's of no use.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Regards,
    mm

Steve Ab

July 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank mm,
    You were correct. I now can hear the channel but all is see is a flicker with both of the two channels you mentioned. I am sorry to be so helpless on this but I don't know what my next step ought to be. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Steve

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You were correct. I now can hear the channel but all is see is a flicker with both of the two channels you mentioned.
    That's a good start. :)

I am sorry to be so helpless on this but I don't know what my next step ought to be.
    It's perfectly alright. I did say to ask if you had further questions! :)

Any ideas?
    Have you configured your TV codec settings?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs

If not, this is a good guide to follow:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

The quick 5 minute route should be fine for you.

If you get to the end of the guide and you're still having trouble, please post a full bundle of MediaPortal log files using the debug-tool with option 1:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Steve Ab

July 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you. Per your link I enabled the Dynamic Refresh Rate and the live TV image appeared. Many more things to discover but you got me going. Thanks so much. Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom