Please read - about existing feature requests!! (1 Viewer)

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi all,

In the next couple of days, i'll be scanning this forum, and putting down a list of features - that might make it into MediaPortal in the future.

The ones that won't....are deleted from this forum.

Yes, it's harsh...but hey, if we want to have the developers to view this forum again - we'll need to clean it up!!

danfg

Portal Member
    September 15, 2005
    I think it's unpolite to remove these topics, specially without prior notice. :( Besides, why clean up this forum if we have the "public developing list"?

If it absolutely must be done (I personally don't agree with that), how about moving them to another forum?

I was religiously following my topic about a feature I need in MP and it had an ongoing poll. It simply vanished. I thought this was a forum where we could openly discuss features, regardless of whether someone decides they're never going to see the light of day.

On a last note, am I going to get my topic back? :cry: It was about channel transitions.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    danfg said:
    I think it's unpolite to remove these topics, specially without prior notice. :( Besides, why clean up this forum if we have the "public developing list"?

If it absolutely must be done (I personally don't agree with that), how about moving them to another forum?

I was religiously following my topic about a feature I need in MP and it had an ongoing poll. It simply vanished. I thought this was a forum where we could openly discuss features, regardless of whether someone decides they're never going to see the light of day.

On a last note, am I going to get my topic back? :cry: It was about channel transitions.

I'm very sorry about that - we'll consider this in the future.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just an idea from other forums - usually what happens is that the Feature Requests forum gets 'retired', i.e. the posts are still viewable, but cannot be added to. That way, you'll definitely know that you won't be removing any important information.

Sam

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    Austria
    LordMessi said:
    Hi all,

In the next couple of days, i'll be scanning this forum, and putting down a list of features - that might make it into MediaPortal in the future.

The ones that won't....are deleted from this forum.

Yes, it's harsh...but hey, if we want to have the developers to view this forum again - we'll need to clean it up!!

I agree that the forums need a tidy up as they are too big.
    Having said that, I think the old topics should be moved to an archive to help stop new users starting topics that they believe have never been discussed.
    Also, in my browsing of the forums I have come across software that should be on the Download section of MP but isn't. I submitted one such piece of software (mptray) I found in the forums.
    Thankfully it is now there :)

Perhaps we could have some area of the forums where members have their configurations and their estimate on stabilty & performance. That would allow potential users to see the most common hardware and people's success using it. This would make selection of hardware much easier and eventually even create a generic "buy this card for the least problems" type of thing.
    You could even put in graphs so at a glance you could see stuff like 67% people use Hauppage tuners and love them or 10% of people using Nebula cards think they are cr@p.
    Please Note: I made up those statistics and I actually have a Nebula card and I actually like it!

Now on to my wishlist of features that I believe should be available to entice more people to use MP:
    1) An obvious (under Play DVD) Eject DVD button in My DVDs. I think this may be commented out in the code? I believe some people do not like this so perhaps it could be an option in the settings?
    2) All settings can be changed in Mediaportal rather then a seperate app. Preferably the settings can be changed with a remote.
    3) Options to allow Mediaportal to boot straight into TV (or other) either to a defined channel or the last used channel.
    4) A System Restore feature so that when a change is made, it is easy to roll back to the last working MP.
    5) Some feedback (like in MCE) so that you can tell that MP is thinking, loading, finding a web resource, etc. and not locked up, i.e. an animated icon on the centre of the screen or similar.

Lastly, I'd like to say a bgig thank you to all those who have contributed to the best HTPC software available today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom