[Finished] Please remove the pointless warning dialog about unsupported OSes (1 Viewer)

The Solutor

Portal Pro
August 25, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
That's a long standing issue when installing on servers

Aside that many home/soho oriented server are on par with desktop versions, what's the point of triggering that popoup each time one enters in the settings.

Just show it once, during the setup, then keep it silent.

Seems pretty obvious that if I have MP1/2 installed on WIN server and I open the settings it's because it is working.

Whatever, for your convenience I add a small list of fully working servers, which should be whitelisted even if you decide to keep the warning dialog.

Windows Home server 2011 (aka windows home server premium) -----> same as Win7 ultimate: everything is there, TV core package,BDA Drivers, Premium MS Codecs. No problems running MP1/2, WMC, Kodi and so on, out of the box

Windows Storage Server 2008R2 Essentials (aka windows home server standard) -----> Same as above

Windows Server 2012 Essentials ----> (everything is there except premium codecs, so LAV codecs are required, MP installs them anyway by default)

Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials ---> WSEMP required (windows server essentials media pack), then it will be the same as above.

Windows Storage Server 2012R2 Essentials ---> (same as above)

Windows Server 2012R2 Standard/Datacenter ---> Install the Essentials role and WSEMP (no need to configure anything afterwards)

Windows Server 2016 Standard/Datacenter/Essentials/Storage Server Essentials ----> same as win 10: everything is there, premium codecs can be enabled installing the metro DVD player

Everything else lacks some components, which impede the full functionality of client and/or server side of MP. But in that case the warning dialog is practically useless as well...

Why one should open the settings of a program that doesn't run at all?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's a long standing issue when installing on servers
    Indeed and this has been mentioned before by many users, including myself.

The OS test is part of the TVE 3 package, which is not maintained by us. We simply use the Nuget as such. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this. I hope that a new TVE 3.5 will be different in this respect.

I apologize but we therefore need to reject your request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom